Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's best value -best year- used Forester $12,000 range?

I'd like to spend around $12,000 Here's my set of questions:

1. Am I right in assuming that most Subaru dealers price their used Foresters at a higher than fair price?

2. I plan to set up a 5 year note on this car, so I have to get 5 X 25,000 relatively trouble free miles from the car to avoid ending up owing significant money at end of 5 years--is this possible in my price range?

3. In past I've gotten around 200,000 miles from prior subarus--so, has the Forester got this potential?

4. Are there any models or years to stay away from-I spoke w/ a guy this AM when I voted, he said to avoid standard shift-as the clutch wears out!

5. Finally, I'd like to get the newest possible Forester with the lowest mileage------am I destined for a 2001 with 50,000 0r a 2002 with 30,000 miles?

Many thanks

Vintage Joe

(On my 3rd Subie 1980 GL---1900Legacy Tsi--1998 Legacy L)

I'd like to spend around $12,000 Here's my set of questions:

1. Am I right in assuming that most Subaru dealers price their used Foresters at a higher than fair price?

2. I plan to set up a 5 year note on this car, so I have to get 5 X 25,000 relatively trouble free miles from the car to avoid ending up owing significant money at end of 5 years--is this possible in my price range?

3. In past I've gotten around 200,000 miles from prior subarus--so, has the Forester got this potential?

4. Are there any models or years to stay away from-I spoke w/ a guy this AM when I voted, he said to avoid standard shift-as the clutch wears out!

5. Finally, I'd like to get the newest possible Forester with the lowest mileage------am I destined for a 2001 with 50,000 0r a 2002 with 30,000 miles?

Many thanks

Vintage Joe

(On my 3rd Subie 1980 GL---1900Legacy Tsi--1998 Legacy L)

Here is a place to look for prices on used Subies:

Mt. Airy Motors

~Howard

:)

You may be able to get a fairly low mileage '01 or '02 in your price range. You will need to shop around to find a deal. Here is a link to help you out.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/fs_search_results.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_45_%7CB-12000%7CA-10000%7CD-_1306_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-98125&aff=national&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&certifiedOnly=false

I am not aware of manual clutches wearing out prematurely on the Forester but all manual clutches wear out after time.

I purchased my 01 Forester L in April of 2003 and I paid $11,900 for it. It had 38k on it and was spotless.

I looked for a car with the proper amount of miles for the year and at low book. No body work/repaint or high miles. It took a while but I was able to find my forester at low book with nothing wrong with it (miles, body work).

I'd think if you held your guns and waited and demanded low book and didn't compromise on miles etc... you'd be able to find something eventually.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

To Glenn and other responders--thank you for your input. I'll hold the line as long as I have to. I've about given up on the dealers-mostly. They are invariably $1000 to $2000 more than private parties. I have reliable mechanics to check out used cars from private parties.

Joe