Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hyrdocarbons 800ppm in coolant 2nd opinion?

Hi there. We've got a 92 Legacy 4x4 that started overheating really badly (off the temperature guage) about a month ago. We flushed and changed the thermostat and all seemed fine. Last weekend on a trip going over the mountains, it ran into the red again. This time the radiator developed a leak. We replaced the radiator and thermostat again and still overheated. Since we were stuck 200 miles away from home, I took the thermostat and remove the guts and put it back in. This got us all the way home without any problem or overheating.

We took the car into the dealer where he checked for hydrocarbons in the water and said we had 800 ppm. They change head gaskets at anything above 50ppm. Visually I found NO oil in the water, nor any steam coming out the exhaust. The question is, before spending hundreds on a head gasket, do I get a 2nd opinion on this test, or just take their word for it?

Thx

Sam

You could get a second opinion . I would sugest doing a leak down test and with the rad topped up . Watch the rad level as the cylinder is presurized . If the level over flows thats your clyinder the head gasket is popped on

More than likely the gaskets are gone and possibly the heads are warped

Hope this helps

SEA#3

Ok, some follow-up questions. I guess I'm going to do it.

1) I've read others are pulling the engine for this. Both of the manuals I've read (Mitchell and Chilton) make no mention of pulling the engine, and a quick look of the engine and it looks totally easy to get at without pulling it.

2) When I pull the head, I need to send it to a shop to check for warpage or do I do that myself? If I send it, do I strip the head first of valves, springs, etc?

3) What about cylinder cracks? I've read some people are experiencing cracked blocks. Is that something a visual check will find? Or should I just look at the head gasket to confirm that's what it was?

4) Last question. The gasket set I'm getting is being put together by 1stsubaruparts.com as a set instead of buying the complete "set" at $175. Inotherwords, I'm just getting the head gaskets, intake, exhaust, valve cover and bolt seals for $100. Does this sound right?

Thanks again,

Sam