Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently purchased a Subaru, and have been browsing the web for a few days, seeking information. Hopefully, you can point me in some of the correct directions. I just picked up my new 2005 Subaru Outback 2 days ago (2.5 base wagon). Most of my web browsing takes me to these crappy spammer sites, or part-search engines that suck.

The sales person told me the stereo would play MP3s, but it does not (boy, I sure was pissed, but I like the car and don't want to return it over the radio). So, I would like to know what kind of options there are, to get an MP3 player installed. All of my original CDs were stollen out of my previous vehicles (along with my previous MP3 players), so I would really like a radio that molds into the car (and does not look like an after-market addition).

The center arm-rest is way to low. I want to get the armrest extension, and the deal says it costs $144 to order. No way am I paying $144 for a plastic box that raises the arm rest a few inches up. Are there any companies that make similar items?

I read about some kit that could be added to the car to improve the gas milage, and it was only $65 or something. Do these really help? Is there anything else I can do, to increase the fuel consumption, without damaging the vehicle?

What good Subaru sites are out there, for Outback owners (other than here), for parts, repair information, mods, newbie guilds, whatever. This is my first Subaru, and I am very impressed with it. Now, I want to upgrade it.

Congrats and welcome!

IMHO, I think this is the best site for repair and troubleshooting info. Hopefully you won't have to do much of that for a long time. Other sites include www.edmunds.com and www.nasioc.com. Both have areas dedicated to Legacies and Outbacks. Also www.cars101.com is pretty good for information, but it's not a forum like the USMB is. www.scoobymods.com is very good for modifications but there won't be much for n/a 2005 Outbacks there now, maybe ever.

I don't think there are a lot of options on stereos yet, that's too bad the salesperson steered you wrong, but the average person on this board knows 10x more about subies than most salespeople at the dealership.

Armrest: You could buy the part itself cheaper from an online vendor than the dealership.

Fuel consumption: You actually want to *reduce* that, right? ;) Don't think that a $65 kit will improve your mileage, except for reducing weight in your wallet.

Probably the best assistance I can offer is to suggest that you keep searching, learn how to use the search function here and on other boards, because most of the time the info is out there, it just takes a little digging. If you really can't find it, people here are very helpful and will try to steer you in the right direction.

Steve

check ebay for the armrest thing. I saw one there the other day. I believe there is a company out there that is making an iPod dock that will work with your OEM Roo rdio. Plugs into the back where the changer cord would go. Ask around on the board. I am sure Josh would know what I am talking about. Also ask on www.the12volt.com good people over there too.

Good luck

Does Subaru offer a factory radio that does play MP3 files? (I didn't take the time to check their web site...) If so, I'd go back to the dealership and talk to the salesperson who sold you the car and explain the error on his part--very friendly like of course. Ask him if he would go ahead and order you a factory radio w/ MP3 capabilities. (If you can do the swap yourself, emphasize that--it might help.) When he says no, ask to speak with the manager. When he says no, ask to speak with the dealership owner himself. Stress how much time you've spent and different people you've had to go through to get this minor problem resolved that was a result of a salesman who was either misinformed or deceptive with your brand new vehicle purchase. If that gets you nowhere, type Subaru of America a polite, educated letter asking them to resolve the issue. In the meantime, drive around the dealership lot in your spare time whith a big banner hanging on the side of your car that reads "Blah Blah Subaru Dealership Ripped Me Off". After drawing the attention of potential customers, you should have a new radio ordered for you in no time.

Okay, I was being a bit cynical there. Seriously, though, go to the dealership and politely let them know you were told the car had a feature it doesn't really have and that you need them to fix the problem. A good dealership will get you a radio--assuming Subaru actually has a factory one that plays MP3s. You pay over $20,000 for a car and I think they can foot a couple hundred to fix a misundrstanding on their part.

As far as the gas saver gizmo--save your money. I've not heard anyone say they bought any of those things and they actually worked. Consumer Reports recently did a study on several different brands/types of those devices and found that none did anything.