Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm getting an intermittent ABS light on my '97 OBW.

Usually when driving on the highway. If I stop for any reason, when the car restarts the light goes away.

The brakes function fine, haven't stressed the ABS lately. Is the best solution to wait for the ABS light to stay on all the time?

Ranger:

Did you see this link yet?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23956&highlight=abs+light

My ABS light came on the other day when I drove away after being parked in deep snow, and remained on all the way down the canyon (15 miles) and back home through town. I could not get ABS to activate so I assume it was disabled while the light was off. At home, I shut the car off, restarted, and the ABS light stayed on.

The next morning, the light turned off and ABS functions normally now.

I did some searching and was considering trying the diagnostic procedure detailed in the link above, but when it went away on its own I attributed it to parking in the deep snow. OTOH, I have parked and driven in similar amounts of snow (several inches to a foot I'd guess) and this has never happened before. I've also wondered if it is my battery going south, since it's original and sometimes low battery can cause weird dash lights to come on.

Steve