Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

T-case lift FAQ (transfer case questions / answers)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

I've been considering modifying the front suspension on my brown wagon and one thing I'm trying to figure out is what to do with the steering once I put the engine cross member back up in its stock location, and the knuckles being about 7 inches lower and about 1-1/2" further out. I guess some pictures would probably be most helpful, can the steering hold up to extreme angles like that?

#27 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,582 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

I've been considering modifying the front suspension on my brown wagon and one thing I'm trying to figure out is what to do with the steering once I put the engine cross member back up in its stock location, and the knuckles being about 7 inches lower and about 1-1/2" further out. I guess some pictures would probably be most helpful, can the steering hold up to extreme angles like that?

drop the crossmember with the steering, use a second crossmember either homemade or another subaru crossmember to hold engine

#28 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

well this seems to be the thread to talk on so im gonna ask some questions..... the mounts that you make to hold the case and the diff. placed up front, are those welded to the frame or body? or are they just seperate mounts that bolt on?... oh and if i use a samari t case do i use the stick mount from it?

#29 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,105 posts
  • WA

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:02 PM

drop the crossmember with the steering, use a second crossmember either homemade or another subaru crossmember to hold engine

Thats my setup. Theres a frame that bolts to the x-member that holds the motor. Nice to have it at stock level, plus it stays drier going thru deep water.

If you fab a sub frame it can bolt to the frame rails on the car. Then you can fab mounts or use existing mounts or both to bolt up the t-case.
The front diff has a fabbed mount off the x-member to hold it.
Just wait, in a week and half you'll get to see it close up....and in action:headbang:

#30 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,582 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Just wait, in a week and half you'll get to see it close up....and in action:headbang:

mine too:banana: :banana:

#31 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Port Moody, BC(Vancouver)

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:20 PM

Bump for good thread with great info.

#32 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

Indeed, Great thread, this is very helpful as I am building a T cased EA car as well...

#33 subaruloverbrad

subaruloverbrad

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • ABINGDON

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:46 AM

ive built both an ea81 and 2 ea82 t cased cars i still own and drive my ea82 tcased sedan. I have used bothe the samuri and the datsun and aggree with almost everything said so far. i have lost zero ground clearance on my sedan but it took a lot of trans tunell work to make it fit. If there are any specific info you need or want even certain pics of anything about my car i.m. me At subaruloverbrad on yahoo messenger anytime. I am more than happy to help. And btw if ANYONE needs help and is reasonable close i will help you do any of the conversions i have done so far. Which are
ej swap WITHOUT adaptors
ea spfi swap Wiring only
t-case conversion 3,4,6,and current 8" lift(s)
6 lug conversion
disk brake swap
390 and 411 lsd swap there are probably more just ask and ill try to help as much as i can.

#34 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,582 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

heres mine

Posted Image

#35 AndrewT

AndrewT

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:34 AM

Is there an alternative method to using an EA subaru gearbox permanently in 4x4 mode and connecting to a transfer case behind?

I ask because I run an EJ20turbo engine, and I fear with all that power running through an old EA gearbox (obviously adaptor plated) it will continually blow that gearbox or at least the low range gears.

Has anyone tried running a gearbox from a larger 4x4 and adapting that to the Subaru engine? Perhaps the matching gearbox to suit one of the popular transfer cases used?

#36 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,582 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

Is there an alternative method to using an EA subaru gearbox permanently in 4x4 mode and connecting to a transfer case behind?

I ask because I run an EJ20turbo engine, and I fear with all that power running through an old EA gearbox (obviously adaptor plated) it will continually blow that gearbox or at least the low range gears.

Has anyone tried running a gearbox from a larger 4x4 and adapting that to the Subaru engine? Perhaps the matching gearbox to suit one of the popular transfer cases used?

you could use any EJ tranny and weld up the center diff wouldnt have as low a gear , the EA tranny is used cause it all bolts up

#37 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Your standard Subaru low range gears are very unlikely to fail as they are at the front of the box and don't have much torque on them due to no previous gearing. The only thing to worry about is the 4wd gear.
The EJ box would fix this because there is no synchros to fail there but you then get lack of extra low range and its no stronger elsewhere in it.
I would look at Nissan boxes. Basically the Subaru family and people seem to think they are tough. Same output splines on the rear too I think.

#38 AndrewT

AndrewT

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

yeah I was thinking a gearbox which is designed to be just RWD from the beginning would be better. But I guess this would require a gearbox from a road car like a Nissan (possibly Toyota Supra, I hear these are very strong) but then you would not have any low range.
Would the low range from the transfer case alone still be a decent enough reduction? (ie, much better than the standard reduction you get with a plain old EA subaru gearbox) ?

note that adapting an odd gearbox to my engine is not a huge concern for me, I'm reasonably confident in making something up to suit.

Really interested to know if somebody has used an actual gearbox from a larger 4x4 vehicle adapted to a Subaru motor. I imagine this would be quite good to use in conjunction with it's matching transfer case if you could get the gearbox adapted to the motor and mounted in the car okay.

#39 AndrewT

AndrewT

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

Anybody have any decent photos of one of these setups?
I'm interested to see what (if any) transmission tunnel cutting/welding was required to get the t-fer case mounted up nice and high.
Also very interested to see how people have gone about mounting the R160 diff at the front end.

With regards to the front end, my L series is 6" lifted...if I'm now going to run my engine crossmember and engine back in the stock location, surely this is too high up for the front control arms to mount? Wouldn't I need to run a second engine crossmember spaced down 6 inches for the control arms and steering rack to sit on?

#40 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,383 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:39 PM

With regards to the front end, my L series is 6" lifted...if I'm now going to run my engine crossmember and engine back in the stock location, surely this is too high up for the front control arms to mount? Wouldn't I need to run a second engine crossmember spaced down 6 inches for the control arms and steering rack to sit on?

yes, yes you would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users