Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello

I am a new member and a first time Subaru owner and I recentally purchased a 2005 Forester. I want to change the oil/filter but I'm having a problem finding a "cup wrench" to fit the filter. I bought the filter from a Subaru dealer #15208AA080, but when I asked about buying a filter wrench the counterman told me they don't sell them. In the past I have bought this item from other dealers as their wrench fits better than a generic one from the local auto parts. I couldn't even find one that comes close at any local store. So is there a correct wrench to find and where? How is this filter removed by others on this board? It seems pretty tight to use a strap or metal band wrench.

Thanks

Kevin

The first time I did mine, it was a real bee-atch to get off ... I used cup adapter dealier on the socket wrench. Since then, I've been careful not to tighten it so much that I can't get it off by hand the next time. Subsequently, I just wrap a wrag around it and turn it with my hand. Tighten by hand, loosen by hand.

Hi,

If a wrench is required to get the filter off, it was installed way too tight.

Having said that, there is one way to get a stubborn filter off, and the placement in Subarus makes it even easier. I drive a large screwdriver through the filter body and use that as a handle to loosen it. Be careful to not insert the screwdriver too high or you may hit the threaded part of the housing.

A tip for the future: when you remove the filter, you'll get a gush of oil from between the filter and engine (at least on the '96 Legacy). I poke a small hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain out. Avoids the mess completely.

Regards,

Adnan

yeah exactly and there is a wrench you can get for Removal only that is U shaped and has a cam in it so when you start cranking on it it tightens the sides (or basicaly brings the sides together) of the wrench together to clamp onto the filter they somewhat work unless someone gorillagripped it on there or used one of those cup sockets like you are looking for to install the filter

I also have the same small filter on my 04 Forester (7th Subaru, owning them since 1977). All have been about the same size......until NOW. The metal banded strap wrenchs do not get small enough for this new filter. And the mentioned one that cams in doesn't either (I'm local mechanic and do work on many vehicles).

This is the smallest I have come by yet. Also get a kick out of the silk screen letters "engine oil" on the top, as not to get confused with the auto tranny filter which looks idential on the outside.

Used to do the screwdriver method when all else fails, makes a mess, but one SAAB I did, it just tore up the filter housing and took me over 6 hrs to get the base off without any thread or mating base damage (there I suspect someone used RTV).

I went to the local PEP Boys here in NJ. They had a cap wrench which fit the Factory size filter. But Beware, the Purolator and other aftermarket filters are a different slightly larger diameter, so your newly acquired wrench ONLY fits the factory Subaru filter.

The previous pur 14460 is still larger, can be used in a pinch for NON-Turbo applications according to a Subaru Memo, but they are really pushing the newer smaller filter.

My $.02 and experiences.

There are several size aftermarket filters that are all considered to be correct for our engines. I would pick one brand and consistantly buy that brand and locate a cup type filter to use with it. I normally use the purolator L14460 filters as many people on this board do, and the wrench to fit it also fits the Subaru dealer fitted filters that I have come accross.

Hi,

If a wrench is required to get the filter off, it was installed way too tight.

Having said that, there is one way to get a stubborn filter off, and the placement in Subarus makes it even easier. I drive a large screwdriver through the filter body and use that as a handle to loosen it. Be careful to not insert the screwdriver too high or you may hit the threaded part of the housing.

A tip for the future: when you remove the filter, you'll get a gush of oil from between the filter and engine (at least on the '96 Legacy). I poke a small hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain out. Avoids the mess completely.

Regards,

Adnan

I totally Agree, you should not need a wrench to get it on or off, if so you are putting it on to tight.

When I 1st buy a car if one is stuck on I use the screwdriver method to get it off.

Thanks to all who responded, it seems that I will check a few more auto parts stores before I go the screwdriver route. I have checked 3 but maybe they were out of the size I needed. This is the first filter change and I don't see a problem with this in the future cause I never over tighten the filter. I am aware of the larger size aftermarket filters, found out when I compaired it to the factory filter in the store.

When I put a new filter on, I put one of those big, half inch wide or so, rubber bands over it, lube the gasket, and tighten it by hand to the recommended 3/4 turn after contacting the housing. Still, I normally need a filter wrench to get it off. Any type of wrench that works is fine. Dittos on the kind that fits on a 3/8" drive ratchet and closes up as you crank.