Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 in my 86 Mitsu Montero??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:18 AM

I bought an 86 montero on ebay for 200 and I Was thinking of sticking an EJ22 in it for Sheeots and Giggles. it is pretty much the same set-up. It has a driveshaft going to the back and CV axles in the front. Fab up some engine and tranny mounts, exhaust....Shouldn't be that hard. Tons of room under the hood. Maybe put a turbo EJ...who knows. I know what would be SWEEET..a 2JZGTE V6 from a toyota supra. With twin turbos, sheet metal exhaust. Now I am just dreaming.

#2 mtsfabman

mtsfabman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:59 PM

How in the world could two people have the same idea on this one????!!!!!???? I have a 1989 Dodge Raider, which happens to be a Mitsubishi Montero. And, I'm trying to horse trade an EJ22 to put in it!!! If I can get the engine, I'm planning on using a Dual Range EA82 Tranny and a Nissan Transfer case. Now that the adapter for the dual range tranny is all figured out, this would be an excellent combination.

My back up plan is to stuff a 4.3L V6 in the Raider, but powering it with a subie motor would be sooooooo different.

Glad to see there are other crazy people out there!

Mike

#3 kevinsUBARU

kevinsUBARU

hi

• Members
  • 2,964 posts
  • Ulster County

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:45 PM

I drive a 89 Dodge Raider every day...205k and counting. It can off-road really good, and the V6 gives it enough power. Think you can help me with a problem?

It has an extremely high idle (between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMS) so shifting can get tricky at times. What really sucks is when I want to go slow in the woods, its nearly impossible to do so! It does decrease to 2,000 or so when I turn the key off then turn it back on but I don't think thats good for it. Sometimes it idles at 700 no problem. No worries though, this thing has been abused so bad, and probably has 30,000 miles in reverse on it. At 45mph the steering wheel shakes so bad my arms get ripped out of the sockets but then it settles down nicely.

Soob powered would be cool...very cool!

Kevin

#4 mtsfabman

mtsfabman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:39 PM

I drive a 89 Dodge Raider every day...205k and counting. It can off-road really good, and the V6 gives it enough power. Think you can help me with a problem?

It has an extremely high idle (between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMS) so shifting can get tricky at times. What really sucks is when I want to go slow in the woods, its nearly impossible to do so! It does decrease to 2,000 or so when I turn the key off then turn it back on but I don't think thats good for it. Sometimes it idles at 700 no problem. No worries though, this thing has been abused so bad, and probably has 30,000 miles in reverse on it. At 45mph the steering wheel shakes so bad my arms get ripped out of the sockets but then it settles down nicely.

Soob powered would be cool...very cool!

Kevin

Sorry, I can't be of much help with the problem your speaking of. I bought mine for $120 with a whole in the block big enough to stick your hand in and a connecting rod hangin out! That's why I'm doing an engine swap. The shaking steering wheel sounds like an alignment/tire balance problem to me.

Yes, Soob power would be cool!

Mike

#5 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:48 AM

I bought mine for $200 and it was sold so cheap because it idles real high. Small world I guess. I dold my Montero to someone who has the time to put into it. With my new project at work I won't be around much to toy with it so I figured I would let someone else give a stab at it. Good luck guys.

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:25 PM

Maybe put a turbo EJ...who knows. I know what would be SWEEET..a 2JZGTE V6 from a toyota supra. With twin turbos, sheet metal exhaust. Now I am just dreaming.

Dude, supras had stright sixes. Just thought I'd let you know.

#7 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:37 AM

someone on Vanc. Island is swapping a toyota 22re motor, tcase, tranny, and axles into a montero with a chopped up cab. I say go for it, monteros have good dimensions for a 4x4 rig.

#8 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 27 November 2004 - 01:33 AM

My last post said in a nutshell "I sold it." Sorry guys. As much as I would love to put a 2JZGTE (thats the twin turbo) into the montero...I have no time.

#9 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:00 AM

now that its hypothetical. mitsubishi made a great motor for that truck that will beat the crap out of an ej22. 4g63t 2.0 turbo eclipse motor. 190hp on stock boost. =]

#10 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:07 PM

The 2JZGTE engine it the twin turbo six-cylinder. IT is the one found in the Supra.

I think a Twin Turbo Supra would smoke a single turbo eclipse on any day of the week..

#11 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:27 PM

someone on Vanc. Island is swapping a toyota 22re motor, tcase, tranny, and axles into a montero with a chopped up cab. I say go for it, monteros have good dimensions for a 4x4 rig.

I would love to see the Kenedy Engineering kit for that rig!! A easy to come by and cheap Mitsu rig with Toyota bullet proof and easy to find driveline!!

#12 Koroshiya_Jason

Koroshiya_Jason

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Redneckville

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:25 AM

the g54b (mitsubishi 2.6) is a pretty stout setup. mine had no cylinder wear after 145k. if cash is an issue, you can get the bolt-on fuel injection system and turbocharger from someone parting out a starion/conquest - http://www.starquestclub.com
=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users