Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 in my 86 Mitsu Montero??

coloradosubarules

I bought an 86 montero on ebay for 200 and I Was thinking of sticking an EJ22 in it for Sheeots and Giggles. it is pretty much the same set-up. It has a driveshaft going to the back and CV axles in the front. Fab up some engine and tranny mounts, exhaust....Shouldn't be that hard. Tons of room under the hood. Maybe put a turbo EJ...who knows. I know what would be SWEEET..a 2JZGTE V6 from a toyota supra. With twin turbos, sheet metal exhaust. Now I am just dreaming.

How in the world could two people have the same idea on this one????!!!!!???? I have a 1989 Dodge Raider, which happens to be a Mitsubishi Montero. And, I'm trying to horse trade an EJ22 to put in it!!! If I can get the engine, I'm planning on using a Dual Range EA82 Tranny and a Nissan Transfer case. Now that the adapter for the dual range tranny is all figured out, this would be an excellent combination.

My back up plan is to stuff a 4.3L V6 in the Raider, but powering it with a subie motor would be sooooooo different.

Glad to see there are other crazy people out there!

Mike

I drive a 89 Dodge Raider every day...205k and counting. It can off-road really good, and the V6 gives it enough power. Think you can help me with a problem?

It has an extremely high idle (between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMS) so shifting can get tricky at times. What really sucks is when I want to go slow in the woods, its nearly impossible to do so! It does decrease to 2,000 or so when I turn the key off then turn it back on but I don't think thats good for it. Sometimes it idles at 700 no problem. No worries though, this thing has been abused so bad, and probably has 30,000 miles in reverse on it. At 45mph the steering wheel shakes so bad my arms get ripped out of the sockets but then it settles down nicely.

Soob powered would be cool...very cool!

Kevin

I drive a 89 Dodge Raider every day...205k and counting. It can off-road really good, and the V6 gives it enough power. Think you can help me with a problem?

It has an extremely high idle (between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMS) so shifting can get tricky at times. What really sucks is when I want to go slow in the woods, its nearly impossible to do so! It does decrease to 2,000 or so when I turn the key off then turn it back on but I don't think thats good for it. Sometimes it idles at 700 no problem. No worries though, this thing has been abused so bad, and probably has 30,000 miles in reverse on it. At 45mph the steering wheel shakes so bad my arms get ripped out of the sockets but then it settles down nicely.

Soob powered would be cool...very cool!

Kevin

Sorry, I can't be of much help with the problem your speaking of. I bought mine for $120 with a whole in the block big enough to stick your hand in and a connecting rod hangin out! That's why I'm doing an engine swap. The shaking steering wheel sounds like an alignment/tire balance problem to me.

Yes, Soob power would be cool!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
someone on Vanc. Island is swapping a toyota 22re motor, tcase, tranny, and axles into a montero with a chopped up cab. I say go for it, monteros have good dimensions for a 4x4 rig.

I would love to see the Kenedy Engineering kit for that rig!! A easy to come by and cheap Mitsu rig with Toyota bullet proof and easy to find driveline!!

• 3 weeks later...