Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear discs on a gen 1?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:33 PM

I did a search but came up empty. I know I read something about this a while back. I want to know if anyone has done this before and if they have, what was required to install them (rear discs) on a gen 1 car.

#2 subawoohoo

subawoohoo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • tucson

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:38 PM

what car exactly? I thought that my hatch ('80) was a first gen (apparently not though) and disks fit beautifully on them. In your sig you have a '81 hatch, are you talking about this car? If you mean a first gen brat, i don't believe they will.

#3 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

Fisrt gen, stage 2. These would be on a gen 1 brat.

#4 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:58 PM

They will, just test fit the backing plates first cause you will need to trim them to fit over the bearing carrier housing or something like that. This is by memory cause of I know someone that has done it but had to trim the backing plate cause there was a tab in the way or something.

#5 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:19 PM

I know there was a thread about this. Anyone know where it went?

#6 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,852 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:44 PM

well I was the one that started that thread but I do not know where it went either but I haven't looked. You will need the appropriate stuff off of the donor car just like doing a conversion on any EA81 or EA82.. 4wd with 4wd, 2wd with 2wd, you get the picture. Everything will bolt on however you will need to do a little bit of modifying to get it to be a bolt on, kinda like a TWE header:lol:. You will need to grind a spot down a little on the rear control arm in order to get one of the caliper bolts in. The other is grinding the backing plate down to make it fit but that is one of those "grind, see if it fits, grind some more" I hope this helps:D

#7 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

well I was the one that started that thread but I do not know where it went either but I haven't looked. You will need the appropriate stuff off of the donor car just like doing a conversion on any EA81 or EA82.. 4wd with 4wd, 2wd with 2wd, you get the picture. Everything will bolt on however you will need to do a little bit of modifying to get it to be a bolt on, kinda like a TWE header:lol:. You will need to grind a spot down a little on the rear control arm in order to get one of the caliper bolts in. The other is grinding the backing plate down to make it fit but that is one of those "grind, see if it fits, grind some more" I hope this helps:D

Got pics?

#8 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,852 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 04 November 2004 - 05:04 PM

I have never completed the swap and never took pics of my progress since I was doing this on my '79 wagon. Sorry:(

#9 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:25 PM

But it can be done right? I mean, if i get the stuff ready to put on it will be obvious what needs to be ground down right?

#10 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,852 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:31 PM

yeah it will because you won't be able to get one of the bolts in to mount the caliper:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users