Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poor running on startup 2002 Legacy

Our 2003 Legacy with 25000 miles has a very disturbing intermitient start up problem. Every few months or so when starting (hot or cold) the car runs very badly and dark smoke pours out the tail pipe. Seems to be running extremely rich. The car will not run properly until it is shut off and re-started, and then the problem is completely gone like nothing ever happened.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Have we found a solution.

TIA

J. Calhoun

and odds on I would buy that kit Subaru is supposed to offer that also offers a cam sensor. They are pretty cheap and I almost think they would be good maintainence items as they have a moderately high rate of failure.

These are cheap and easy to do for the novice.You might do a search and you should see how to change them.

• 1 year later...
Our 2003 Legacy with 25000 miles has a very disturbing intermitient start up problem. Every few months or so when starting (hot or cold) the car runs very badly and dark smoke pours out the tail pipe. Seems to be running extremely rich. The car will not run properly until it is shut off and re-started, and then the problem is completely gone like nothing ever happened.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Have we found a solution.

TIA

J. Calhoun

Yes, we hare having exactly the same problem with a 2003 Legacy wagon with 43,000 miles on it. We have also cross posted to:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53443 where there's another person with the same problem. I suggest you followup over there. Please call -- I'd like to find out what has happeneed with this.

-- bill densmore 413-458-8001. Here's the detail:

Yes, MJ, we have a 2003 Legacy Wagon exhibiting exactly the same problem. We have had it to the dealer three times and they say they "can't duplicate the problem." About once every two weeks -- or less -- we'll go out in the morning and the car will turn over but not catch. Or if it catches, it will run very roughly, as you describe, with no power and then die. Waiting 15 or 20 minutes results in it starting as normal. Our dealer, Bennington Subaru in Bennington, Vt., has had it thrree times, has "reflashed" the ROM on the onboard computer, and the problem is still occuring fairly regularly. They say the only solution is for us to leave the car with them for a week and for them to try it every day until they can duplicate the problem. We say we want a new onboard computer. They seem to hint they think it is something about the way we are starting the car, so it is very good to know somebody else has this problem. Feel free to call me at 413-458-8001 -- we have to get this resolved. -- bill densmore