Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WHAT is wrong with this clutch?????

Guest Subazoo

Guest Subazoo

Garage put in a new clutch, pp, and TOB into my 87 4wd sedan. They said they resurfaced the flywheel. To depress the clucth requires huge effort, and now, the car will not shift with the engine running. It shifts when it is off...

I suspect the pressure plate has gone south...

Any ideas??

Guest edrach

Is the clutch cable properly adjusted with on about 1/2" of play at the pedal? That might explain it not going into gear. Huge effort could be new pressure plate or an old clutch cable in need of replacement. My clutch on the Turbo GL wagon required much heavier foot on the clutch than my n/a wagon.

Guest SubaruTex

I'm guessing the pressure plate...pretty sure thats what messed up my clutch. I put it in myself, and everything worked fine for about 10,000 miles. Everything, except I had a heavy feeling clutch. It went out on the trail, pulled it that night, and one surface of the clutch was completely gone, and the other still had plenty of material on it.

Guest Subazoo

I think so too...that's why the car won't shift when its running. But will when the engine is off.

Gonna bring it back and fix it.

Thanks...

Guest offroadsubaruguy

is the pedal stiff? if it is then you might need to get a new cable, mine was super stiff, replaced the cable, then it shifted like a dream

Guest GeneralDisorder

Yeah - check the pedal - I had a stiff pedal, and it was the cable. I ignored it too long, and found out on an on-ramp just exactly *why* it was stiff. It was improply installed (previous owner), and had rubbed through the outer shielding. Finally rubbed the cable in two, and the pedal slammed to the floor. Good thing I was in 2nd, and could pull over and out of traffic. Good thing I have AAA too. hehe

GD

I'm with Craig and company on this one.

The cable routing is very important and will cause dire consequences if wrong. The factory routing is strange and does not look right but it is and if they just slapped it on there I'll bet it is wrong.If wrong, it by now could have worn through the sleave already and frayed the inner cable. Driving it this way will only make it worse.

Guest Subazoo

The cable routing is identical to my stock 87 wagon that runs fine.

It ain't the cable. I adjusted the sucker again and it reduced the pressure a little. Gotta keep playing here.