Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would like to do axles and wheel bearing replacement before winter comes..

Hi there, just found out that my front driver axle is bought to go and so is the front passenger wheel bearing. I would like to do both the bearing and axle replacement for driver and passenger side. First, I would like to know some of the tools required to do the jobs. And I would like to hear some pros and cons of using certain tools over another. Secondly I would like to know part numbers for all the parts I need. I thought buying them over the internet would be cheaper than visiting local subaru dealership. Since I just moved to Michigan, I'm lacking some tools(well I lacked tools back in Washington, mostly visited Carfreak85 for major fixes), I'm willing to spend some money to buy tools as for it is an investment, yet I would'nt spend so much like buying an air compressor so I would like to know the alternate route. After all I'm only a college student with short budget. College student = broke, but not poor.

Thank you in advance

Dan

At 100 YOA I don't recommend doing your own car work.;)

Bearings can be done many ways. You can remove the knuckle and have the old bearings pressed out and new ones in at a shop. You can use a hub-tamer. Some folks use a hammer and punch. You might be able to get away with even more primitive tools. The pros usually use a press or hub tamer like approach, sometimes a slide hammer for hub removal. I bought a hub tamer and it's great, but probably not a good short term investment at $200+.

I don't know the specifics of getting the axles out of the transmission on your car, but it usually isn't too difficult, and the worst part will already be done as part of doing the bearings. You may need a small axle remover to get the axle out of the hub, I don't know for sure. I haven't replaced the axles yet on our outback.

www.1stsubaruparts.com should be able to help you with the parts.

I strongly recommend an FSM before tearing into it.

When I was in college I winged it on a wheel bearing and both axles in my toyota with little trouble, it's not too bad, you should be able to do it with a manual. I took the knuckle off for the bearing and it took me forever.

Edit: Duh, I just noticed you drive a brat. You will get much more detailed information over on the old-gen forum.

for axles check out CVO's website - just bought mine from them but haven't gotten them on yet

tools:

1/2" drive torque wrench

1 3/16" socket - 1/2" drive (axle nut)

14mm socket - 1/2" drive (ball joint pinch bolt - BE CAREFUL!)

6" long extension bar - 1/2" drive

19mm deep socket - 1/2" drive (lug nuts)

jack stands - USE THEM!

assorted drift/punches to remove pin securing axle to tranny

BFH (big friggin' hammer)

creeeper or clean cardboard box to lay on (take the staples out! - think about what you might snag....:eek: )

hope this helps

Thanks!

Looks like the the company doesn't carry axles for my car(98 outback)...But I still requested for a quote..

Dan

for axles check out CVO's website - just bought mine from them but haven't gotten them on yet

tools:

1/2" drive torque wrench

1 3/16" socket - 1/2" drive (axle nut)

14mm socket - 1/2" drive (ball joint pinch bolt - BE CAREFUL!)

6" long extension bar - 1/2" drive

19mm deep socket - 1/2" drive (lug nuts)

jack stands - USE THEM!

assorted drift/punches to remove pin securing axle to tranny

BFH (big friggin' hammer)

creeeper or clean cardboard box to lay on (take the staples out! - think about what you might snag....:eek: )

hope this helps