Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie saying hello from NC

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to say hello, and thanks for a great site. I just bought a 1986 Subaru GL 1.8L. I need to just replace the oil pump, and she is as good as new (hopefully). She only has 152,000 on her. My valves tick, so I guess its the oil pump. See ya in the forums....

Welcome, this is newby Gary from Cleveland, Ohio.....Be carefull, after you install the new oil pump (fill that thing with vasoline before you install it) make sure you run the engine @ 2000 rpm's for 15 minutes or the ticking will not go away because your lifters will still have air in them. Been there done that. How do I know? Used to be Subaru parts manager in the 1980's at two different dealerships.

Not sure if your 86 is the same as an 82, but on the 82 (EA81 motor) there is a plate that the oil pump sits on and it's easy to crack when removing the oil pump.

Take a close look and be careful!

Welcome to the board and good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Welcome, Lucky...from the other end of the state. I'm in Asheville. There's a handful of us on the board here in NC.

Let us know if you are heading to Asheville...we'll show you some trails for your car if you like to get off the beaten path.

Since you are a Sube enthusiast in my neck of the woods, (compared to all these pacific-northwesterners), I'd like to ask a favor. I am always on the lookout for an '83 or '84 wagon with no rust. I have an '84 with great interior and mechanicals and some mods, but the rust is killing me. If you find any, even 2WD, out your way with no rust, please let me know.

Thanks and welcome, again.

• 2 weeks later...