Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto. Trans.

Guest watergate528

Guest watergate528

Have an 88 GL 10 wgn. 1.8 Turbo- Auto. Getting ready to change trans. fluid. Is there a drain plug on the torque converter?

Did see the drain plug for the trans.

Don't have a factory manual yet.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Guest Hondasucks

There should actually be two drain plugs, one up front that drains the front differential (Takes API GL-5 gear oil, don't put tranny fluid in there!) and another in the pan for the ATF.. Note that you may not have a drain plug in your pan, if that's the case then you have to drop the pan and make a huge mess unless you have a big drain pan. Although you might as well drop the pan and change the filter while you're at it.

Just to let you know though, this will only get about 2/3 of the fluid out, the only way to get it all out is with expensive equipment...

If it's really, really, really nasty, you might want to have a shop do a complete fluid change.

Guest watergate528

To clarify...the trans. pan does have a drain plug. Trans. has never had a fluid change..has 56,000 original miles. Noticed hesitation when starting out cold..slight slippage..fluid is red..no burnt smell. Fluid n filter change being done this week! Have the specs for brake band adjustment. Looking at installing an auxillary cooler for the trans. also. That should of been done back in 88!

watergate, I do not believe there is a drain plug for the TC

I had mine power flushed to make sure all the fluid was changed, (60 bucks!!) and the filter is just a mesh

screen - EZ to cleam.

Guest thealleyboy

WG:

You might consider leaving your A/T alone if it has gone this long without changing screen/fluid. I beleive this is a 3/36 maintenance interval item, and there is little to be gained 11 years after the last scheduled service.

I have heard lots of bad things about doing a trans fluid replacement this late in the game. Some kind of quirk that is common with sealed hydraulic systems. I too had some suspicious transmission problems after doing a "total fluid replacement" on my 86 4wd A/T wagon. May have just been a coincidence, but I dunno...

If topping off your fluid doesn't cure the slippage, I doubt that a fluid repalcement and new screen will help much either. Definitely get some more opinions if you decide to go this route.

Good luck, John