Ultimate Subaru Message Board

have a 1998 legacy awd wagon with no power to the rear wheels the solenoid c checks out ok I believe this is a clutch pack problem . Has any one done this repair? Any special tools or advice. canit be done w/o pulling trans out ? dealer says no iatn techs say yes info on repair unavailible to me anywhere else. help please. first time post tia bill

No power to the rear wheels is most likly not a clutch pack problem. If transfer solenoid tests good then it probably isn't getting a signal from the TCM or somone has put a fuse in the fuse holder on the RH strut tower.

If you think you want to replace the clutch pack, it can be done with the transmission in the car.

have a 1998 legacy awd wagon with no power to the rear wheels the solenoid c checks out ok I believe this is a clutch pack problem . Has any one done this repair? Any special tools or advice. canit be done w/o pulling trans out ? dealer says no iatn techs say yes info on repair unavailible to me anywhere else. help please. first time post tia bill

found the housing that covers the clutch pack to be severely worn where the sealing rings on the apply piston ride , replaced housing , pistin and rings and seals as clutches looked perfect. everything worked perfect for a couple of days now have noise coming from this area and no power to rear wheels again !!!!