Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof Mounted Bike Rack 2005 Forester XT

Pulled the Thule multipurpose crossbar set with the fork mount bike trays

off my 98 Forester (sent to the shop for what I hope is a head gasket job) and tried to put them on my brand new 05 Forester XT (love that "girls gone wild" moonroof, not to mention the blower). The crossbar brackets do not fit!:banghead: Thule and Yakima both say they do not make a roof system for the 05 Forester and recommend a "trunk" or trailer hitch solution that I have no interest in. I'm not real fond of the factory set-up($$) and I'd really like to use as much of the Thule equipment that I already have.

Anyone solved this problem yet? I saw mention in an old post of an adapter to mount the trays directly to the factory crossbars but the link to info was dead. I really want the bikes on the roof and one of the main purposes of the Subaru is to get my bikes to interesting places to ride.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Took some research but I've solved the problem: Thule makes a "Velo Vise" system for using the factory racks. Part number 889 (about $125) gives you a front crossbeam, vise-like clamps to attach to the front and rear factory bars, a single tray for one bike (part #589 if purchased seperatly), two locks, and another vise clamp for a second tray if you have one. (I used the one from my old rack for the '98). No interference with the big ol' moonroof.:)

Mike