Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is the 3.0 H6 as reliable as the ej22?

There is one downside to the 3.0 H6 aka EZ30. When the engineers designed it, they had to make it compact enough to stuff it in an engine compartment that was ment for the EJ25. One thing they did was go with a timing chain instead of a timing belt. Now this did buy them about an inch of front to back clearance but they ended up having about a dozen o-rings between the inner timing chain cover and the block. Can you say major oil leak protential. Also they didn't make it easy to replace those o-rings either.

The XT6 engine code is ER27.

I didn't know about the switch to a timing chain for the 3.0 H6 engine. That's good news as far as I'm concerned.

If the only difference between engines were timing chain vs. timing belts, I'd take the timing chain version any day, especially if the engine is the "interference" type. Timing chains give you lots of warning when they require service.

• 11 months later...

I have on 01' LL Bean with the 3.0 H-6, 81,000 miles on it. This is my first Subi. I bought it from a dealer 2 hours away with a 30 day/1000 mile "Lemon Law" warrantee. Well, I only drove it a couple days when it started to develop some engine noise at 2100 +- 200 RPM. Initial diagnosis from an independant 16 year Subaru mechanic is one of the two cam chain tensioners (one for each side/cylinder bank). I have it at a local Subaru dealer for additional diagnosis. If this is correct I hope the selling dealer will let the local dealer do the work. I am told it is no small job. Much of the front of the engine has to be disassembled to reach the chain tensioner. I am hoping this is an isolated problem. The H-6 hasn't been around long enough to have a track record/history. Wish me luck.

I doubt it has the same weakness. It's an EJ201 with an extra two cylinders, like the old EG33 was a stretched EJ22, so it should be good!

No the ez30 is not like the ej20, they are in a completey diffrent engine familey, i dont think they share one single componet between the two. The EG33 (SVX engine) Is almost exactley just like a ej22 with 2 more pistons, and, better flowing DOHC heads, and a higher compresion ratio. Aculey the EG33 is spose to use ej22t rods, and has a very similar psiton design.