Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help please,

I just recently filled up my tank and for the first time I've notice a fuel smell when in the garage. After researching a bit I have found gas leaking from the tank on the rear passenger side. Does this indicate a bad fuel tank? I need to know how to if I need to drop the tank and replace. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

Look carefully (Hint: use a flash light NOT your cigarette lighter) at the lines leading from the tank. It is the right location and vintage for rust to be eating out the little "fuel dampers" along the route. They look like the size of a very pregnant silver dollar. I eliminated it without any harm to the system and installed a direct fuel line and voila no more leak. I hope your fix is as easy and not a rusted or damaged fuel tank.

If this is the case, there are a variety of clamps and hoses. Have 2 pencils ready to plug the gas line once you've disconnected it, splice in the new piece and away you go.

The vapor lines should be ok.

10 bucks says it's the filler neck. They rust out at the bottom because dirt and crap get stuck in there by the plastic cover. Remove the plastic cover that hides the filler neck and lines, and see if you can find a rust spot where it's leaking.