Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Filters... Nippon, Old OEM ?

How are these oil filters ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7932448170&category=33661&sspagename=WDVW

Are they the old OEM's ?

Are they any better/worse than the OEM's now ? Fram, NAPA, Purolater ??

Just wondering, I bought a set and have them on both of my Subies, and need to restock.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

I've gone to the dealer to buy my filters for a while, at first they used to sell me "Nippon" filters and then a few years back they switched to "Purolator-Fuji" (made in the USA) filters. Both were printed with the same Subaru part number. Many car makers like to keep the parts contents percentage (as stated on the various labels that are stuck on new cars at the dealer's lot) high enough to call a car they sell "American/Domestic", thereby saving on some costs, import taxes, and etc. That's one of the reasons some Subarus come with Champion plugs from the factory, yet the dealer's stock NGKs.

So, the link you posted maybe a set of really old OEM filters, or some guy's got a really good deal on new filters imported from Japan (for sale at dealers there).

To be sure you're getting a good product for your Subaru, why not just buy stock filters from one of many Subaru parts websites? I'm sure there are places that USMB members could recommend.

Those are not NOS. New Old stock filters, they would have came in the Subaru boxes. he does not come out and say they are NOS, but implies it by saying they are OEM filter. I personally use Nippon for my shop but that is because they are good quality at a reasonable price. That would be the kind of box you would get if you were buying the filters from a wholesaler. If you are buying from a wholesaler you do not pay $14.95/for 4, plus $7.50 shipping. That is too much for those filters.