Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

oil pan gasket

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Martin90_*

Guest_Martin90_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2002 - 06:53 PM

so i read in the haynes manual that you have to jack up the engine, yet i think i remember some people saying it can be done without that. it's an ea-82 carb'd engine, which has a pretty bad gasket. i also rememeber that the washer fell off the drainage bolt last oil change, so i'm leaking more oil. not super bad, but i'd rather fix this at next oil change while the weather is good. any tips would be great.

#2 Guest_edrach_*

Guest_edrach_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2002 - 07:51 PM

You don't have to jack up the engine. I did it on my '86 GL (carb'd). Remove all the bolts and pry it loose from the gasket/block and then rotate the pan (I forgot whether 90 degrees or 180 degrees) and slip it out. Good idea to drain the oil first. Use some gasket goo on the new gasket so it won't slip off the pan when you are "rotating" it back into postion. Some of the rear bolts are hard to get to, but not impossible.

#3 Guest_stephenw22_*

Guest_stephenw22_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2002 - 08:37 AM

you only need to lift the engine if it's a turbo - something to do with the different crossmember, I think.

#4 Guest_mehwolfy_*

Guest_mehwolfy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2002 - 09:08 AM

What do you use to get to the bolts in the back? On my 88 fi it looks like it will come off ok if only I could get past the cross member to the bolts in the back. My oil pan gasket has too become an oil pan leak spacer.

#5 Guest_edrach_*

Guest_edrach_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2002 - 09:17 AM

I loosened them with a box wrench and then a phillips screwdriver via the holes in the crossmember.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users