Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber on, having idle problems

We just put a dgev 32/36 weber on my 87 gl wagon and were trying to get it running correctly. We ran into the usual problems (power steering pump in way, coolant passage leak) but were able to get by those. Now, it runs pretty well with the choke on all the way, and maybe even at half ok, but with no choke on it wont idle at all. It seems like there is a vacume leak somewhere by the symptoms but we can't find it. When we took it for a test drive (before antifreeze blew everywhere) it drove very well besides it stalling when idling. It had much more torque which was awesome. After we fixed the antifreeze problem we were gonna take it for another test drive but we noticed a loud gergling noise coming from the carb. When removing the airbox, we opened the butterfly valve a little and noticed that it was dumping fuel like hell in there!!?? Were gonna continue with it tomarrow and try to figure this out. Any suggestions would be great. I have searched and searched and can't find what i need to find. Thanks in advance.

Some of us that's done this conversion, have had to use a Fuel Pressure Regulator, in the supply line to the carb, and there's some out there that don't need one. Don't know why that is.... Difference in fuel pumps maybe????

Sounds like you need one, about $20. Ran mine on the 4.0 setting, which is just about full open, but that's what the engine wanted. At the 3.5 setting, it would basically run outta gas if I ran her up thru the gears hard, and I liked doing that.... Last long road trip in it, got 31mpg, '82 BRAT, EA-82 engine, 4spd D/R trans, 2" dual exhaust, stock tire size.

Ran mine on the 4.0 setting, which is just about full open, but that's what the engine wanted. At the 3.5 setting, it would basically run outta gas if I ran her up thru the gears hard
I understand that these sometimes need a fuel pump with a regulator but why would it put out more fuel with less pressure??? Mine is dumping fuel and its the stock pump. Doesnt make sense to me. Could it be the jets that are in it??? Im not sure what are in there but its probably not what should be.

I also would like to know what the stock pressure is on the fuel pump in there. I think that I had the misunderstanding that it is about 2 psi but after doing tons of searches, I think that is only on the EA-81s. Am I correct that my 87 has about 5 psi stock?? It also seems as though no one has successfully weberized an ea 82. I am yet to see someone posting that there weber is working correctly on an ea-82.