Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help Starting '96 Svx!

Could you provide any other information to help diagnosing?

also, you may want to check out the svx network boards www.subaru-svx.net[/quote=deli145]

Thanks Josh. I'll check out that svx site. I live in NC; used to live in Chi, and am stranded in latter because it will start one day and not the next....the whole day. Took it to two Subaru dealer serv. depts and since it started while they had it there were "no codes" and "didn't know where to look". It cranks but just doesn't turn over. And then next day it starts like nothing was ever wrong.

Glad I found this site, for now and now on......

Don

1996 SVX LSI 59,000mi

Josh What I'm frustrated with is Authorized Certified Technicians from three Subaru service depts in three cities cannot find out what the problem is. They all claim that while the car starts they can't find any codes and therefore don't know where to look! I made it from Chicago to Charleston, WV starting and stopping as if there was no problem. Then it just wouldn't start. New battery in Chicago, plus they checked plugs, coils, fuel pressure -found nothing wrong. In Charleston they replaced fuel pump and said problem solved. Only when I got to Raleigh 300 miles later, the next day it would not and will not start.

Electrical??

Don

Hmm.....yeah...something sounds weird.

To be quite honest, most dealer mechanics are just parts changers. They have very little troubleshooting skills, and unless a blatent computer code is flashing in their face, they're stumped.

You never answered my question. So the starter cranks? but the engine doesn't start?

There's two things you need for the engine to work, fuel and spark. If the engine is cranking, not starting, and you pull a plug out and it's wet, I'd say you have fuel. Leave a plug out and resting against the block to see if you have spark. The only thing left is to check whether spark & fuel are being delivered at the appropriate times. If the timing belt is good and aligned properly, then it's possible your ECU is on the fritz.