Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Seatbelt jammed THANKS FIXED

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:50 PM

Over the shoulder belt wouldn't retract and after I rolled the belt back into the mechanism, it won't reel out. OK so it's not a Subaru but I think they are all the same. It's on the rear deck of a Toyota Camry and I don't have time to get it to a dealer and imperil kids in the back. Please administrator don't bannnish this post to the lonely off topic page... I need help.

#2 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:01 PM

They are not all the same. from the description, you either have the belt folded somewhere in the reel, or the springs in the reel are broken. Either way, the fastest solution is to replace the belt reel (seatbelt assy). If it is just a folded belt, you could take the time to monkey with it to try and get it to release, but that would take a lot longer than replacing the assy. To replace it, you just have to undo a couple of bolts, take out the old one, and bolt the new one in place (generally, but I'm not all that familliar with your particular car) The main differences in the seatbelts are the construction of the reel assy, and the access to the mounting bolts. Rear belts are worse, as they are generally under the seat, or in the rear trim/trunk.

#3 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Gnuman. I removed the assembly from the car (a fortune in coins 'neath the back seat) and with the room it afforded me I was able to untangle the fold that was.... all the way at the reel attachment point. It still took less time than going to the dealer and buying the part and reinstalling it AND I get to keep all the coins. I love this site and the passive and active encouragement!

#4 canajun2eh

canajun2eh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Gnuman. I removed the assembly from the car (a fortune in coins 'neath the back seat) and with the room it afforded me I was able to untangle the fold that was.... all the way at the reel attachment point. It still took less time than going to the dealer and buying the part and reinstalling it AND I get to keep all the coins. I love this site and the passive and active encouragement!

You also got to keep all the coins the purchase of a replacement belt assembly would have set you back! New seatbelts aren't cheap, and probably aren't in stock either. Even used seatbelts from a junkyard are spendy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users