Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Over the shoulder belt wouldn't retract and after I rolled the belt back into the mechanism, it won't reel out. OK so it's not a Subaru but I think they are all the same. It's on the rear deck of a Toyota Camry and I don't have time to get it to a dealer and imperil kids in the back. Please administrator don't bannnish this post to the lonely off topic page... I need help.

They are not all the same. from the description, you either have the belt folded somewhere in the reel, or the springs in the reel are broken. Either way, the fastest solution is to replace the belt reel (seatbelt assy). If it is just a folded belt, you could take the time to monkey with it to try and get it to release, but that would take a lot longer than replacing the assy. To replace it, you just have to undo a couple of bolts, take out the old one, and bolt the new one in place (generally, but I'm not all that familliar with your particular car) The main differences in the seatbelts are the construction of the reel assy, and the access to the mounting bolts. Rear belts are worse, as they are generally under the seat, or in the rear trim/trunk.

Thanks Gnuman. I removed the assembly from the car (a fortune in coins 'neath the back seat) and with the room it afforded me I was able to untangle the fold that was.... all the way at the reel attachment point. It still took less time than going to the dealer and buying the part and reinstalling it AND I get to keep all the coins. I love this site and the passive and active encouragement!

Thanks Gnuman. I removed the assembly from the car (a fortune in coins 'neath the back seat) and with the room it afforded me I was able to untangle the fold that was.... all the way at the reel attachment point. It still took less time than going to the dealer and buying the part and reinstalling it AND I get to keep all the coins. I love this site and the passive and active encouragement!

You also got to keep all the coins the purchase of a replacement belt assembly would have set you back! New seatbelts aren't cheap, and probably aren't in stock either. Even used seatbelts from a junkyard are spendy.