Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay I posted a little while back about a leaking gas tank in a 90 sub legacy. No lines were leaking but I noticed seapage from the top corner of the tank close to the passengers side tire. Is there any way just to seal the top seam with anything. This must only happen when the tank is full because its not leaking now.

Thanks

Tim

The only way would be to weld to it, but that's dangerous because you could ignite the fumes!!

I doubt any putty or sealant could stand up to the attack gasoline would make on it.

I think you're looking at replacing the entire fuel tank. That's the correct thing to do.

When I first purchased my BRAT i saw some similar seapage at the bottom of the tank, noticed it melted off the undercoating.

I couldn't tell where the leak was coming from but it seemed to be at the top of the tank as it only leaked on a full tank of gas while driving.

I proceeded to drain the gas (luckilly it had a drain plug) and noticed that it was not coming out well, and with debris. As it turned out the inside of the top half of the tank had rusted (10+ years in storage with 1/2 tank) and filled the tank with sludge. I "sandblasted" the inside with water and small sharp marble chips then flushed with muriatic acid.

A special gas-resistant epoxy/tape is available at auto parts stores for any holes. It worked great. I then sealed the inside (for seams) with an epoxy like the ones available from Eastwood. Never leaked again.

Hopefully your tank is not in this bad of shape, but be careful with the seams, they can be hard to fill with the thick epoxy. The tank sealer works well and runs into all the seams of the tank.

-Heikki