Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Transmission swap

davejack

Has anyone done an upgrade to the 1993 Loyale 4 wd, original 3-speed auto trans. to the 4speed auto or the 5-speed Manual transmission?

Does anyone have a good source for rebuilt transmissions and transfer case for this subaru?

Why is the 3 and 4 speed transmissions both listed for a 1993 Loyale?

Thanks.

Haven't done the swap myself, others should chime in there any time.

I would recommend just getting a junkyard tranny for the car, the most desirable (depending on your tastes) being the dual-range 5 speed, which was available through 1989 and will bolt up no problem. The subaru manual transmissions generally go for a long time just like the engines. Find one that shifts well without much slop, and make sure that the gear oil if not relatively new at least is not disgusting.

As to the 3 and 4 speeds being listed, I would venture a guess that the 4 speed comes with turbo models and the 3 speed comes with the naturally aspirated models. I'm not positive, but that's what I've seen on the older cars.

I will be doing the swap next summer (though mine will include a 2wd -> 4wd conversion, and other goodies :grin:) but have been doing a bit of research, you will need the tranny and shift linkage (duh), but also the pedal box, and maybe even dash (though not necessary, but you don't need the P,R,N,D,2,1 lights on there) but it's been done before, and will be done again, so get some parts, and dive on in!!!

well I'm planning on doin this same kind of swap into my RX since its the 4EAT auto (4-speed, electronic auto) so this is what I have for a list so far...

transmission - for me its the dual range full time 4wd with diff lock

crossmember - it has to be from any 4wd EA82

shift linkage for the stated tranny you use

pedal cluster from a manual EA82 car

clutch cable - different between 2wd and 4wd models

clutch and flywheel

instrument cluster

center console

driveshaft I think

There might be some other stuff I forgot and anyone can chime in if they'd like since I need to do this swap as well:D

I have done the 3AT to 5 speed swap.. not too bad.

I wouldn't recommend the 3AT to 4EAT swap.. It can be done, but the 4 speed is an electronic transmission with its own computer and wiring harness. More of a pain than its worth IMO.

about how long did it take you to do the swap and what all did you need to do it tool wise? Since I'm planning on doing the FT4WD d/r 5-speed into my RX.....

no ones mentioned you'll need a 3.900 rear diff for the 5 spd dr swap

He probably already has a 3.90.. It seems kinda hit and miss with the autos though.

Russ, I'm not exactly sure how long the swap took.. I did the motor, tranny, interior, sunroof, wheels and a bunch of other stuff all at the same time. Took about a week.

A couple of tips.

When doing the pedal box, REMOVE THE STEERING COLUMN.. don't just drop it down, take it out. Will save you hours.. Downside is you won't have as much opportunity to invent new swear words.

PB4WD and FT4WD w/difflock trannies have a vacuum canister thing on the side of the trans..That thing is a pain in the rump roast. Its actually easier to put the trans in from the top, so if you are doing stuff with your motor, do it all at once.

Tools needed.. 10,12,14,17mm sockets and wrenches 36mm socket, 3/16 punch (I actually use an old 3/16 drillbit..lol.. I lost my punch and have used this bit on about 10 axles now with no troubles).. Lets see.. assorted pliers and stuff. Jack and stands..I always have 6 on hand.. Pickle fork is nice to have, as well as a clutch alignment tool. Neither are absolutely necessary, but can save some frustration and time.

I guess thats about it..