Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Missing Connecting Rod Bearing leading to Engine Rebuild

Like many of you, my 2001 Outback (108k miles) blew its head gasket (Jan 04). Took the car to the dealership for the warranty head gasket repair. Approximately 40 minutes off the lot after leaving the dealership, the engine blew. It turns out that the #4 connecting rod bearing wasn't there! (OK, so I like loud music) After the wonderful experience with the dealer, I've decided to rebuild it myself, since that's cheaper than a new/rebuilt/used motor. Any lessons learned of which I should be aware? My previous work has all been with Cheve small blocks.

Thanks!

If they left the rod bearing off, they should redo the job at NO CHARGE!!!! That's criminal, and terminally stupid.

Also, the crank and that rod are trash now. Expensive boat anchor :eek:

Try to get in the touch with either SOA Customer Service and especially the District Service Manager. Loud stereo or not, that engine was trashed as soon as you started it.

Incidentally, these engines bear no resemblance whatsoever to Chevys, or another other American made engines.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Getting the dealership to do anything is indeed a trick. There is no way the car was assembled without that bearing and the crank showed no signs of a slipped bearing, so what happened it it is anyone's guess. There were some particles suspended in oil, but it didn't come close to accounting for even 1/2 of a bearing. With winter approaching and having argued with SOA and the dealership for 6 months with $2,500 in lawyers and a forensic mechanic (GET LOTS OF NON-DIGITAL PICTURES BEFORE THE CASE IS HEARD!!!), I gave up and decided to do it myself. Cleveland weathers tend to be a bit on the inconvenient side, what with a "project" backup car. Crank was built up and machined to -0.025" and the connecting rod replaced. If I close my eyes and drink really heavily, I can recognize some of the engine components from my work on American engines. Suggestions on preventing another head gasket leak?

If they left the rod bearing off, they should redo the job at NO CHARGE!!!! That's criminal, and terminally stupid.

Also, the crank and that rod are trash now. Expensive boat anchor :eek:

Try to get in the touch with either SOA Customer Service and especially the District Service Manager. Loud stereo or not, that engine was trashed as soon as you started it.

Incidentally, these engines bear no resemblance whatsoever to Chevys, or another other American made engines.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com