Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace timing belt @ 5 yrs, 40K?

Hi,

Unless there's an oil leak (classic cam and crank oil seal problems) that has soiled the timing belt, age should not be a concern. Do an inspection around the timing covers, particularly the lower edge and assure yourself that it's dry.

Then, enjoy the miles! Sorry, I have no idea of the cost of a belt R&R. It took me about two hours on my '96 and that included a lot of cleaning, wiping, polishing (with my wife looking on, shaking her head).

Regards,

Adnan

I always thought the Timing belt should be replaced before the car goes over 100 thousand miles.

The cost should be around $250 to $300.

The Outback engines are interference type engines and it would be cheap insurance to get it replaced soon. If not there is no telling when it might fail and the repair cost will climb into the thousands.

Check your owners manual, but as I recall, the scheduled replacement is 105,000 miles. Earlier, of course, if it has been damaged or oil soaked.

I am looking at purchasing an '00 OBW w/ 40K miles. I know it's nowhere near the 105K for replacement, but should I be worried because it's 5 years?? What does replacing a timing belt cost?

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

In Australia, the recommended interval is 100,000km (~60,000 miles). I'd worry about a 5 year old belt, the rubber-type compounds can break down with age and humidity, regardless of whether they have been affected by oil (and it seems nearly all are!).