Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bad vibrations

My 86 EA82 carbed d/r wagon (230k) has got a bit o' shakin going on...

I know i could use a wheel alignment and the tires balanced cause when I'm cruisin on the highway at around 100km, it pulls slightly to the right and shakes a bit but not too bad. The CV's seem fine - no grinding or shakin when turning, but when I'm climbing up a hill and I'm on the gas (cause we all know you need to be all over the gas when going uphill with these babies) often it will start to shake really bad. The whole car shakes, the steering wheel shakes and it will keep getting worse as i keep climbing.

If i let off the gas for a sec and then floor it again, the shake goes away and she cruises normally.

Ideas much appreciated...

Very similar to what happens when you have a bad inner joint (DOJ) on the axle; if you have a torn boot on either or both inner joints, I'd bet on a bad joint.

My 86 EA82 carbed d/r wagon (230k) has got a bit o' shakin going on...

I know i could use a wheel alignment and the tires balanced cause when I'm cruisin on the highway at around 100km, it pulls slightly to the right and shakes a bit but not too bad. The CV's seem fine - no grinding or shakin when turning, but when I'm climbing up a hill and I'm on the gas (cause we all know you need to be all over the gas when going uphill with these babies) often it will start to shake really bad. The whole car shakes, the steering wheel shakes and it will keep getting worse as i keep climbing.

If i let off the gas for a sec and then floor it again, the shake goes away and she cruises normally.

Ideas much appreciated...