Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to modify the new 1.6TS impreza for better mileage?

I just bought a 2005 subaru impreza 1.6TS manual transmission. I was wondering is there is anything I can do to modify it for better fuel comsumption. Like my friend who drove a nissan, he has change the sparks plugs to better ones, add grounding cables, magnets, etc and the mileage of his car improve greatly. Is there any thing like this that can be done to subaru?

I just bought a 2005 subaru impreza 1.6TS manual transmission. I was wondering is there is anything I can do to modify it for better fuel comsumption. Like my friend who drove a nissan, he has change the sparks plugs to better ones, add grounding cables, magnets, etc and the mileage of his car improve greatly. Is there any thing like this that can be done to subaru?

Hi,

Magnets, etc. sound like snake oil, IMHO. There are two ways, dictated by the laws of physics, to improve fuel consumption - lighten the car and use lower levels of acceleration.

Check to see if there is a different rear end gear ratio available. I don't know how one goes about it in an AWD car but it sounds complicated as you'd have to change both front and rear gearing.

Lighten it up by removing all unnecessary items. That would include the spare tire, roof rack, carpets, A/C, etc. Kind of along the lines of the E36 BMW M3 LTW. I don't mean to be facetious, in case you misunderstood me.

Lastly, easy on that gas pedal. Lots of coasting etc.

Regards

Adnan

Coasting should be done in gear, the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors above 1500rpm if the accelerator is untouched and the car is still moving.

Agreed: Get rid of any unnecessary clobber in the car. Spare tyre is optional, depending on how far away from home you venture. On the same line, don't fill the gas tank to the brim, it may be slight but it adds to the weight you have to drag around.

Make sure all four tyres are properly inflated. Five if you carry the spare.

The biggest and easiest method is to avoid more than half-throttle acceleration, and not actually stop at traffic lights. Brake early and just crawl toward the lights, hopefully they turn green before you come to a stop. Takes a large amount of energy to move the car from standstill.

For starters, you can't be getting horrible mileage with a 1.6L engine! I'm curious as to what you are currently getting. I'm pretty sure yours is FWDand it and not AWD...can you confirm?

I did some research and found that you should be getting an average of about 8.2l/per 100km which translates into approx 31mpg. A low for you should be around 23mpg and a high of about 36mpg!

Kevin

Oh my! I just realised that you are posting from Singapore!

I grew up there, from age 6 to 18, the years 1982 to 1994. Have only been back once, for the new millenium. Cost is the only thing keeping me from visiting more often. Oh, my birthday is on the 9th of August, and Singapore is just ten years my senior :-)

I would strongly recommend running Mobil 1 engine oil, 5W-50, as an aid in improving the mileage.