Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy Outback shifter bushing problems

Howdy everybody! Newbie to the list. I've been working on my wife's Outback. Put a set of KYB struts and a set of Goodridge braided brake lines all the way around the beast. Makes a real difference to have a decent suspension under the little beast!

Anyway, I decided to tackle the sloppy manual shifter today and hit a snag. I can't seem to find a way to get one of the bolts out of the shifter assembly because it hits the transmission in no matter what gear I shift the tranny into. I decided to take the roll pin out of the boss (Haynes term) and drive it off of where it mounts to the tranny but can't seem to budge it. Is there a trick to all this mess? Do I need to take the boss off of the tranny shift rod to make this happen? If so, do you recommend heat?

BTW, I did search the board. One person did have the same question but he got no response. Hope that doesn't mean nobody knows! ;)

TIA!

Jason Mawhinney

'95 Subaru Legacy L Outback

Lots of euro stuff

I think if had put the transmission in first gear it might have given you enough clearance.

When you put it back together, just put the bolt in through the other side and nut on the transmission side.

The one in my pic is the newer style....which isn't necessarily better.

Actually I tried 1st gear and had no luck. The bolt was definitely closer clearing the tranny in 1st gear than in any other but no dice. I'm convinced that taking the boss or yoke off was the only way to get the bolt out. Thanks for the time in checking this out and responding.

Jason