Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 subaru legacy gt limited. I am not sure that the transmission fluid has ever been changed. At what mileage should the vehicle have a transmission flush? The vehicle has about 61,000 miles on it. Also can I do a transmission flush on my own or do I need to take it to a shop? :D

You can drain it, make sure you measure how much came out, and refill it with that amount.

Drive it for 500 miles or so, drain it again, then do it a third time. This will get plent of good fluid into the tranny and converter for less than $20.

Or you can pay for the flush at a tranny shop. One thing I don't understand though is this: I have been told that fluid in the torque converter does not run through it unless the car is driven, so I don't know how much better a "professional" flush would be vs. draining a few times.

I know tranny shops used to drill a small hole in the T.C.'s on chevy's to completely drain them when they had them removed during a tranny rebuild, then install a plug.