Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low Speed Steering Noise - Not CV

Can anyone confirm the existence of an occasional clonk noise during low speed, turning manouvres over "rough" terrain, such as a speed bump or small ramp?

I have known many Subaru's to do this, and seem to recall a TSB on the matter. Anyone have any documentation? Please!

No documentation, but you should check the ball joints and such for play.

Can anyone confirm the existence of an occasional clonk noise during low speed, turning manouvres over "rough" terrain, such as a speed bump or small ramp?

I have known many Subaru's to do this, and seem to recall a TSB on the matter. Anyone have any documentation? Please!

Setright:

If you go to the Legacy forum in Nasioc, and search on "clunk", you'll find several threads, including this one:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368718&highlight=clunk

There was a TSB for 2nd gen Legacies. It doesn't sound like many people have done anything about it though, and it's questionable whether it really fixes the problem. I've just added it to the list of Subie quirks that I put up with. It really doesn't seem to have gotten worse in thousands of miles. My wife's TS doesn't do it, but her car has < 15000 miles. Her old GL didn't do it, but my OB definitely does.

Steve