Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Low Speed Steering Noise - Not CV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:38 AM

Can anyone confirm the existence of an occasional clonk noise during low speed, turning manouvres over "rough" terrain, such as a speed bump or small ramp?

I have known many Subaru's to do this, and seem to recall a TSB on the matter. Anyone have any documentation? Please!

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:41 AM

No documentation, but you should check the ball joints and such for play.

Can anyone confirm the existence of an occasional clonk noise during low speed, turning manouvres over "rough" terrain, such as a speed bump or small ramp?

I have known many Subaru's to do this, and seem to recall a TSB on the matter. Anyone have any documentation? Please!

#3 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:41 AM

Setright:

If you go to the Legacy forum in Nasioc, and search on "clunk", you'll find several threads, including this one:

http://forums.nasioc...highlight=clunk

There was a TSB for 2nd gen Legacies. It doesn't sound like many people have done anything about it though, and it's questionable whether it really fixes the problem. I've just added it to the list of Subie quirks that I put up with. It really doesn't seem to have gotten worse in thousands of miles. My wife's TS doesn't do it, but her car has < 15000 miles. Her old GL didn't do it, but my OB definitely does.

Steve

#4 urabus retserof

urabus retserof

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Halifax

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:23 PM

Beside what Edrach said, you might want to have a look at the coil springs. Even if it's not broken, it can make that noise if it isn't sitting quite right.

#5 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:30 PM

Thanks 97, good link. I am not bothered by the noise in my car - I know it's normal. I was trying to gain info for a debate on a local Impreza website (www.impreza.dk), since the admin has the problem and everyone is dissing me for suggesting that this a Subaru quirk.

Bah!

#6 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:08 PM

One might be able to find the TSB online...

http://users.sisna.c...4-09-01_tsb.pdf

;)

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users