Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pics of rear brake swap

Guest Jaime Deal

Guest Jaime Deal

I cracked a rear brake drum and since I have to replace it, I thought I would upgrade to disk brakes

I went through the old postings and couldn't find it. There was a posting about the disk brake swap and someone posted a link to a site that had pictures of the swap and tools needed.

Could the person repost the link to the pictures?

Thanks.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Yup, thats the link. Its actually my page and thats me swapping the disc's... The job is a peice of cake as long as you have the rear disc's already. You will need to find rear disc's off a Subaru that is 4WD if your car is 4WD too. If your car is 2WD you'll have to find rear disc's off of a 2WD subaru.

Almost every Turbocharged EA82 Subaru has rear disc's.

-Brian-

Guest McBrat

much better braking ability.... the rear drums are not self-adjusting, so it eliminates manually having to adjust them when braking ability is diminished.

there is a world of difference.....

I was the second one to do this swap and kick myself for not being the first. It is like being in a different world. Solid brake pedal. Not having to adjust rear brakes is great also. The only special tools required are the 36mm socket for taking off castle nut on 4WD. You may want to have a tubing flare tool if you want to make it look like a stock set up. This is for remaking your brake lines fit as before.

You nee everything from the backing plate out. Backing plate is held on with three bolts. Thes are the same three bolts you see when you took off the drum. Also take as much brake line as you can get from the donor.

Qman

Guest OH Noah

Someone once said that the cars with stock rear discs have some sort of proportioning valves in the system. Is this true?? If so, why aren't they needed in doing a swap??

• 11 years later...