Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 axles and XT6 axles. What are the differences?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,861 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:29 AM

So I'm writing another thing for the USRM about EA82 axles and I have all the info I need except for the XT6 axles. How are these different from other axles? Why are they needed for the 5-lug conversion? I know there's people out there that know this one.....;)

#2 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:35 AM

Different lenght and I think the outer stuff is different due to some kind of bearing difference....but im no expert on the XT6 stuff...

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,861 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 10 November 2004 - 11:46 AM

well I don't think length is an issue. I might have to agree with the CV shaft being different but thats what I wasn't sure on...

#4 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

Yes, since the hubs are dramatically different from the 4-lug hubs, they won't interchange. I'm pretty sure the XT6 axles are like the new-gen axles in that you don't have to press them (or vigorously hammer them :D) in and out of the hub.

However, I do believe that the inner joint is the same on both the EA82 cars and the XT6, same spline count and everything, so if you have an XT6 suspension setup on your EA82 car, you should just be able to use XT6 axles. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

I wish Dennis ex24 still frequented the board, because his (now avatar382's) monster XT has an EA82 trans (RX D/R) with an XT6 suspension... He could answer that question for sure. Maybe subaru_styles or Corky could chime in too...

#5 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:02 PM

just to add..the axle is beefy compared to the ea82 unit

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:06 PM

I dont have to hammer/press my axles in our out of the hub/knuckle/bearing... :confused:

#7 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,533 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 10 November 2004 - 03:17 PM

The shaft that goes through the hub is very different. It is also different than the impreza's axles.

The trans side has the same number of splines as turbo trans's... as well as impreza axles. The XT6 axles are a good bit larger than stock, so are Impreza's.

Simple formula: Use axles from the same car as the hub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users