Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do subys eat T-belts

Guest bbitner

Guest bbitner

I have never seen a car that uses t-belts like the EA-82. I can understand the back yard idiot installing non-OEM belts and not torqing them properly going threw belts but even the suby dealership is glad there are few EA-82s left on the road. My friend works at Becker subaru and agres that he was lucky if they lasted 40k miles. My honda uses a thinner belt than the suby and it only uses 1, i also take it around 7k all the time this should all shorten its life but yet it needs changed at 90k miles and they DO NOT go before than. My other friend works at Honda and has never seen a car come in with a premature belt failure. I dont want this to turn into a flame, im simply curous. The belts are pretty big and have very little load on them (4 valves, week springs) i dont understand why they fail so soon.

My limited experience has been using non-Subaru belts tends to shorten the interval. Secondly, not replacing all the oil seals at the 2nd belt change will serverely reduce belt life. The belts do not like oil.

Guest schreckman

Temperature, amount of bends in the drive, and type of tension all affect the belt life. These are not constant tension drives with auto tensioners. Also original construction was poor. Replace with a Gates T299 and T300 for the upgraded construction.

Guest Bill Putney

I've never gotten less than 60k miles from my belts (actually that's a stretch - I usually replace them between 55 and 60k).

Regarding the load on the belts - keep in mind that the left belt drives the oil pump and distributor. The distributor probably doesn't strees it much, but I suspect the oil pump is a load (and very constant). This is why the large majority of the time, when a belt breaks, it's the left one.

I don't think my problem was the sube, but the auto zone timing belts that my old mechanic put on. When I pulled the covers there were teeth everywhere from the left belt and the right belt was about to go. I got 49,000 miles out of that set and had the old ones replaced at 50,000 before they broke.

Doris

Guest LeoneTurbo

My current EA82T has 55,000 miles on the current belt, but it needs replacement soon as idle starts to get a bit lopy and you can hear the LH belt not being 'as tensed' is it used to be!

Guest schreckman

The Gates T299 and T300 are belts, They also have a belt and tensioner kit. I think it is a tck299 with both belt and tensioners and idlers. I have never been involved in the price end I would need to call.

Guest Tolerance02

**The belts are pretty big and have very little load on them (4 valves, week springs) i dont understand why they fail so soon.**

The so called "little load" is one of the causes that make them break.

The second cause, in relation to that is that they are manual adjusted which should be done every now and then.

When turning a camshaft by hand you can feel what a belt gos thru. First the cam must be pulled over the valve spring tension and the next moment the spring tension towards the cam gives a strong push foreward. This gives a havy to and fro snatching on the belt which is more or less compensated by the next spring and cam. Since there are only 4 valves for one belt there is not such compensation, so a loose T belt will brake sooner.

If there are 4 cylinders for one belt the follow ups of the valve spring tensions are closer and so are the compensations.

Adjust the belts frequently so they will not brake that soon.