Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any easy way to pull drive train?

Guest Sweet82

Guest Sweet82

The Rhino Buggy is becoming reality....:evil:

I'm wondering what the easyest way (for an idiot8o ) to remove the front power train is? (engine, tranny axles crossmember, struts).

Is it best to pull the motor (in the traditional manor) and then pull the crossmember...

or just unbolt the body and lift the body off the crossmember (leaving everything attached to the crossmember) and roll the body back?

Ideas, Hints, Thoughts, Insults?

Glenn

82 Hatch, transforming.:eek: 01

Forester, wants a lift.:rolleyes:

Guest GeneralDisorder

Pull the Tranny first - very easy - takes like an hour (maybe). Take the struts out next for a little break from the heavy lifting, then pull the engine straight up and out of the car. All could be done in less than half a day. Especially if your not planning on putting them back.

GD

Guest x silvershad0w x

Are you ins Austrailla, or are you getting a Rhino kit shipped over to the US? I have always wondered how these things perform compared to the stock Subaru unibody.

Here's a breakdown of how I'd do it, for a buggy scenario (this is if you have the right tools and only one guy)

Put car up on 4 jackstands

Disconnect front struts, lower control arms, tie rods remove front axle pins, pull out the strut, control arm, hub and axles all at once.

Remove the driveshaft from the tranny, drop rear diff and driveshaft together.

Remove all engine hoses, accel cable, clutch cable, pitching stopper rod,and everything else up top holding the engine/tranny in. Also remove steering shaft to get engine crossmember out easily.

Using a tranny jack, drop the engine and tranny mated together, by droping the tranny and engine crossmembers all at once down through the bottom. it sounds good to me, but I never have dropped the engine through the bottom. It think it'll work :)

Guest thealleyboy

Glenn;

If you have decided to leave the rear axle for the junkman, it's pretty straightforward. Just make sure the car is positioned so the car so it can be towed on the rears.

You are basically dissassembling the front end. I would start with the front brake/axle system. Most of it will have to be unbolted, and the more you free up, the faster it will go.

Taking the knucke out with the axle in place saves a lot of time. You can deal with separating the housing later.

With the axles out of the way, you could conceivably do the engine/tranny in one shot. I always do them separately because they come out cleaner that way.

Depending on the model, you may have to deal with some additional **** (like a driveshaft or manual linkages), but if you really got on it early, you can be done by lunchtime.

good luck, John

Guest LostWater

Gelnn,

I will definitely get back to you about the rear deck. May score one locally in the right colour if I can ever get out there.

Drop the whole shebang at once. In ideal conditions I have dropped the engine and tranny together in an hour.

First, jack car and place jackstands under; undo rear drive shaft at both ends (u bolts), pop pins out of cvs, and pull those away from tranny (can leave attached to car, if that is what you want).

Undo all bits from engine, hoses, wires, etc. Label both ends just in case a reinstall is needed.

Place extra jack under engine cross member. Undo tranny cross member, 4 bolts, undo engine crossmember (4 bolts), and lower tranny and engine together. Raise car if needed to slide unit out from under car.

I have done it this way at least 4 times, and the longest was from a jukyard brat that me and my twin pulled. Then it only took 2.5 hours.

Regards,

Mark

Christiansburg, VA

LostWater@LostWater.com

one little thing all these guys missed

Unless you like a 90 wt gear oil shower??

Drain the transaxle first, the driveshaft yoke is the rear seal of the transaxle. assuming it is 4wd that is

Guest Sweet82

Thanks for all the help,

I found that using a combination of all the advice was a great way to go:D

I got a Cherry Picker used the Jack stands and cut the front end of my car off.:eek: Seems like a simple operation and makes motor/tranny removal real easy.:rollin:

Whole thing just slides right out:cool:

The Hatch didn't give up with out a fight though, the score at the end of side one was Subaru 1, Sawzall 0. Fortunately Harbor Freight was open late and has a good return policy on abused tools:lol:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, transforming:evil:

01 Forester, won't climb!:mad: