Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Factory Rack Load?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jramus

jramus

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Boulder

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:00 AM

Hi -

New to the site - I searched some the posts (you've put together a really nice site with great info) but didn't find the answer I was looking for...

Was flipping thru my 1992 Legacy owner's manual - looking for any specifications regarding the factory roof rack load. Of course, I didn't find anything...

We have a Turkey-day road-trip coming up - 2 human travelers, 2 large dogs (one in the back seat, one in the cargo area) - not much room for luggage. I am hoping to rig my Thule 'Classic Box' (model 601) to the top of our 1992 Legacy Wagon; I want to make sure it can handle the load.

Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated!

Jason

'92 Legacy Wagon
'97 Saab 900S

#2 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:13 AM

100lbs max. It actually says that on my OEM 90 legacy wagons rack.

Hope this helps.

#3 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:10 PM

I've put a good 150-200 up there without anything bending permanantly on my beater.. Just dont hit bumps too hard.

#4 jramus

jramus

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Boulder

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:47 PM

Thanks all!

Managed to squeeze the Thule box (Adventurer?) around those wide cross-bars. Filled it to the brim with food, beer, wine, and luggage for the 4-day weekend. It worked well...

Going over some larger bumps (frost heaves and railroad tracks) would cause the box to rock enough for something (I suspect the brackets) to hit the roof. The I-25 winds up to Wyoming definitely threatened to push us around a bit. But my worst fears of distributing our 'goods' along the highway weren't realized!

Tough drive on the way home - saw approx. 2 dozen cars off the highway from Sheridan to Boulder - of course, the (FWD - Artic Alpins) Subaru held on tight.

#5 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

I think companies use these rating numbers for a reason. Safety perhaps. Sure you could put a a motorcycle on your roof but I wouldn't reccomend it. Come on people..use your brains! Don't overfill the fluids, over torque bolts, overfill tires...and overload your roof racks or trailer hitches. Do it for safetys sake!

#6 friendly_jacek

friendly_jacek

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • USA

Posted 02 December 2004 - 04:11 PM

You forgot to mention about overblowing you horn...

#7 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:13 PM

Was that remark aimed towards me or everyone in general? It is true though. Just dissconect your horn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users