Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Home install of Keyless entry help!

Hi there!

I have a 95 Legacy L Wagon, and I bought a Scytec keyless entry to install myself. After messing around for ages, I got the module temporarily hooked up to flash the parking lights when locking/unlocking. Then I started looking at hooking up the locks - How do I set this up? The drivers door lock has two wires leading from it to the car, that are either at 12v when it's locked and 0v when unlocked.

Does anyone know what the deal is with setting up the keyless entry here? Do I need to get an actuator for the drivers door? How do I know what kind to get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Sam

If your car has electric locks then you do not need actuaters. If your alarm (assuming you have an alarm and not just keyless entry) with the keyless entry provision you will need dual relays for the power locks. Some systems have the relays built in but most do not. For the relay diagram please visit www.the12volt.com you willl need to register but it is free and you will find everything you need to complte your install. If you have any more question please feel free to ask. I used to own my own car autdio shop so alarms are nothing new to me.

Hope this helps.

When you unlock the door the pos (+) signal is sent thru one side of the two wires you speak of, when you lock the door the pos (+) is sent thru the other side. This is why you have to use relays.

Hi, Thanks so much for the quick reply, I think I need to supply more info though:

The system is not an alarm - just keyless entry.

All the doors (including rear door) open when the drivers door is unlocked (either by key or by hand from inside) - so I know at least, that all the passenger doors have actuators. By then it occured to me, that if the only way to unlock the drivers door is by key or hand from inside, why would Subaru have put an actuator in there? So what I'm seeing is a keyless entry system opening everything except the drivers door, and therefore, i must get an actuator?!

Does this make any sense?

Also, I opened a rear passenger door up, and tested the two wires leading to the acutator as I locked the drivers door. Each lock/unlock sent a pulse of about +12v and -12v, but the drivers door wires are +12v when unlocked and 0v when locked.

I will check out the diagrams on the website you gave.

Thanks again, I really feel in the dark here!