Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slight vibration in my new Subaru

Hi,

I've just got a new Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon and it's a lovely car. However,

there's one issue: when the car is not moving, but the engine is working(in

neutral)I feel slight vibrations in the stick-shift and occasionally in my seat. These are very fast and gentle vibrations.

Actually I believe I can feel them when the car is moving too. I took it to the Service Dpt at the dealership and the mechanic believes it's normal and most probably because I got the car with 87-octane gas when I bought it (it's supposed to be 92). The engine seems to be running smooth and the RPMs are steady.

I really don't like this, is it indeed normal ? I don't remember feeling it in the car I test-drove

Well, smooth as the boxer engine is, you can't expect it to be rock steady. Especially at idle, where the ancillaries such as the steering servo are "stressing" the engine.

If you are anything like me, you will begin to notice more vibes and possibly sounds that you haven't noticed before as you own the car. It's mental. During the test drive, your senses would have been overwhelmed by the balanced growl of the engine and the POWER!

Now, having gotten somewhat used to these aspects, you will begin to notice secondary characteristics, such as the slight vibration at idle. In time, tertiary characteristics will begin to find your attention.

Compared to other models and makes the WRX also has stiffer engine and transmission mounts, which means more vibes will be transmitted to the cabin.

Relax, and enjoy your car!

Hi,

I've just got a new Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon and it's a lovely car. However,

there's one issue: when the car is not moving, but the engine is working(in

neutral)I feel slight vibrations in the stick-shift and occasionally in my seat. These are very fast and gentle vibrations.

Actually I believe I can feel them when the car is moving too. I took it to the Service Dpt at the dealership and the mechanic believes it's normal and most probably because I got the car with 87-octane gas when I bought it (it's supposed to be 92). The engine seems to be running smooth and the RPMs are steady.

I really don't like this, is it indeed normal ? I don't remember feeling it in the car I test-drove

i have a new 2004 forester XT and i have a small vibration stopped at an intersection. it comes and goes. it is only when i'm stopped. i am running 93 octane since day one so that won't help.

steve