Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Wanting to adjust your choke settings : ea81

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_McBrat_*

Guest_McBrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:14 PM

I know I've seen some posts on this before, so I thought I'd throw this out there since I did it this weekend.

Subject: 1983 4WD GL Wagon
Choke: Electric and vacuum actuated...

It seems that Subaru didn't want us messing with the choke settings. My dad's was set one notch to the choke side from center. There are 2 rivets on the top side of the housing, and 1 bolt on the bottom. I loosened the bottom bolt, and it freed up the housing, but it would not turn.

I then drilled out the 2 rivets, and pulled back the cover for a ook. There is a small groove cut into the housing cover that fits over a small brass pin on the other part of the housing. I then used a needle nose pliers to pull the pin out (easily) and re-assembled the choke housing with 2 new bolts/nuts to replace the rivets.

just loosen the 3 bolts and you can fully adjust the choke and re-tighten.

#2 Guest_newbie boater_*

Guest_newbie boater_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2002 - 06:43 PM

My bad, I should have mentioned that in previous posts. They do use several different types of "Indexing" to insure correct choke spring locations, but as you found out, they can usually be easily overcome. A grinder, a needle-nose, a file, usually if you're in there trying to do it yourself you'll have the tool needed to eliminate the index.

#3 Guest_Shackk_*

Guest_Shackk_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2002 - 10:45 PM

Wow, learned something there. Don't know if you read my post about the same thing last week, (pipewrench solution)?

I wonder if the pin in mine just bent or broke when I turned it with the pipe wrench?

Oh well, it starts perfectly and runs like a scalded dog now !

Shack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users