Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny fluid smells burnt/poor shifiting changed ATF 2K ago

The burnt fluid you smell on the dipstick indicates burnt friction material (ie clutch pack or band). While changing the fluid my temporarily improve the smell of your trans fluid, damage has already occured. Since the new fluid also smells burned, whatever was slipping in your trans continues to be a problem. It's time for a trip to the transmission shop - very likely for a complete rebuild. Waiting will only increase the repair cost.

I changed the ATF in my 90 legacy about 2K mi ago but now I notce that the fluid smells burnt and it is shifting poorly. It slams into second and then hesitates into third. Anybody have an ideas?

I changed the ATF in my 90 legacy about 2K mi ago but now I notce that the fluid smells burnt and it is shifting poorly. It slams into second and then hesitates into third. Anybody have an ideas?

How did you change it?

Did you totally flush it or just pull the plug and did a partial change?

I pulled the plug and drianed what I could get out then refilled it. I was thinking about changing both filters. It only slams into first when I really get on it but usually hesitates going into third all the time. I doesn't slip at all though. I have had cars with sliping tranny but this isn't one of them yet.

I pulled the plug and drianed what I could get out then refilled it. I was thinking about changing both filters. It only slams into first when I really get on it but usually hesitates going into third all the time. I doesn't slip at all though. I have had cars with sliping tranny but this isn't one of them yet.
I would flush the entire system. When you pull the plug you are not getting all of the fluid out especially the import fluid in the torque converter.

You can have a shop do it or

Pull one of the return lines off the radiator and put it in a bucket.

Run the car till 2 quarts are in the bucket.

Refill 2 quarts to the tranny.

Repeat until fluid comes out clean.

Then change the filter and refill.

I would flush the entire system. When you pull the plug you are not getting all of the fluid out especially the import fluid in the torque converter.

You can have a shop do it or

Pull one of the return lines off the radiator and put it in a bucket.

Run the car till 2 quarts are in the bucket.

Refill 2 quarts to the tranny.

Repeat until fluid comes out clean.

Then change the filter and refill.

Is it possible to do this without a lot of mess? ie) Hot ATF pouring on your clothes when you reconnect the return line.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case you care. Do not bother throwing anymore money at trying to fix your tranny yourself. once a tranny is overheated it is toast. nothing you can do. I needs to be taken apart and certian parts replaced. I speak from experence. any money you spend change fuild or filters will be wasted and more damage will occure, costing you more cash. fix it now a save yourself the hassle. By the way most mechanics and tranny shops would change the fluid/ filter for you and send you on your way awaiting your return in a month with a screwed tranny. More money for them. Just my 2.

You might have actually. The AT OIL TEMP light is about as useful as the Oil light. It only comes on when the condition is so critical that the component in question is about to self-destruct.

Your tranny has as good as 240k on it, that's pretty damn good. I also think it's time to get out the checkbook...

Obviously a 90-94 Legacy AWD auto should bolt in with no mods. But you could theoretically put ANY new-gen Subaru auto in if you want to do some crazy wiring stuff, and you make 100% sure you have the same ratio in the front and rear diffs. So if you found a wrecked WRX auto, you could pull the tranny and rear diff, and after you wire the whole thing, have a WRX autotranny with VTD in your Legacy! :)