Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire Size for RX Turbo

You may get this question asked a million times but I couldn't find anything specific for my car. So I'm asking. I probably overlooked many post though.

I need to know what is the max tire width I can put on a stock 1988 RX turbo rim? I now have a set of 185/70HR13 on the rear and 175/70R13s on the front wheel.

mini-rxfront1.jpg

The front wheels are what I'm keeping on the car. I want to put tires on these rims that will have no issues whatsoever (tire rubbing, etc). Can anyone recommend a good tire size to go with these rims. I'll be ordering within the next hour. Thanks!

Ah, nevermind. :)

I was just searching the Tirerack in the 175/70SR13 range and decided on some tires to purchase. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 has an excellent rating all around and seems like the perfect tire. Kumho has a $25 tire but no rating. So Firehawk Indy 500 it is. Thanks! Sorry I'm not more patient. :lol:

I would like to point out that your RX is a Fulltime 4WD and that it requires both front and rear tires to be the same diameter. If they are not you will eventually have drivetrain binding and will probably devoure a tranny.

Thanks Qman! I thought I read this somewhere before. It was the only way I could get the car home at the time since one of the rims were bent so much, it was undrivable. I had 4 rims/tires in the 13" size but one had a flat/slow leak. So I had to use 2 and 2. That's why I'm taking care of this ASAP.

BTW, the 185/70R13 is the stock size for the RX... 174/70R13 and 165/80R13 were stock on other Subies.

Gary

Oh no! :banghead:

I can't find anything comparable to the ones I got in the 175 range though. I'm looking at the Kumho Power Star 758s but I don't have any stat information on them. Better look quick since I already ordered the other tires.

Update: Got the order corrected to get the $27.00 Kumho Power Star 758s in the 185/70R13 size.. The Firestones were $45.00 a piece so I saved a few bucks. The few reviews I read seemed positive so those are the ones I'm going with. Thanks guys!

You can run the same tires as JWX on the stock subie rims with NO clearance issues and run them hard into t3h ground!

I should know...I run them every day and have run them from my wagon, to a DL to all 3 RX's ive had...

Want a set???

BF Goodrich 205/60/13 Comp T/A HR4 Legends Edition, All season High Performance tire.

Ive had them over 130 MPH...they seemt o hold up well against anything...dirt, mud, snow (tho not as much!) sand, dry/wet pavement...burnouts...autocrosses....:burnout: