Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone swapped a 5sp. Hi-Lo into older roo...?

Guest mudrat79

Guest mudrat79

Hey all check this out..

I horse traded 12 hrs of my labor time for an 86 3 door Turbo . I got the 5 speed Hi-Lo tranny, rear disc brakes, and The very hard to come by Limited slip rear diff....:-))))))))

I pulled all the parts out yesterday, and looking at the tranny, I think it is a bit shorter than the older 4 speed hi-lo...?

I am going to swap all this into my 86 Hatchback, which is shorter anyhow, but they compensate by using a shorter drive line....

Has anyone attemped this tranny swap yet....? I am hoping that the tranny length difference can be remidied by using the 5 speed Duel range ( shorter ) with a full length driveline out of a wagon or something....I know the driveline length difference is about 5-6 inches, and I am thinking the tranny diff is about the same.....I could only get so lucky right....?

If anyone has done this All info is greatly appreciated....I have 3 1/2 weeks before the nekt big 4x4 trip. and I would like to get this all in.....

Then my list of up-grades will look like this

86 Hatchback: 5 speed Hi-Lo , LSD, duel exhaust, Weber carb, Custom bumpers , custom roof rack, rear disc brakes, 3 inch lift........:-)

It WILL be the Ultimate Off-Road Ride......:-)~

Thanks in advance for all info or input, John in Oregon.....

and remember, SEE MUD, MUST PLAY......

Guest Ross H

Like YOU need any more advantages. Now I'll need binoculars and a longer CB antenna just to keep in touch while you go bouncing up and over and around....YOU should have a handicap off road. Like we should put you in an xt6 with bottomed-out air shox and street tires and then see how you do!!!

Um, seriously folks, good luck with that project. Lucky for you to get that LSDiff! I bet you'll be able to fit everything together, and then, AS USUAL, all we'll see is your taillights getting further and further and further away...

Can you tell I'm getting worked up for the Wallowa trip? Just getting my smack-talking warmed up!

Again, good luck w/the project!!!

ra

Guest hodakarider

Ahh, yes! There's that $1,000,000 question again, folks. Obviously, there are a lot of us out here who are wanting to do this deed. Would the experts (I know you're out there) please step forward with some kind of in-depth tech on swapping a 5spd dual-range EA-82 tranny into a EA-81 car? Lifeline? Is that your final answer? There are quite a few of us now who are ready to jump into this swap, but don't have the time or resources to experiment. I know that it can be done/has been done, but we all need more information on what we will need to complete the job, as well as what things we should expect to come across during the swap. PLEASE HELP ALL OF US BEFORE WE GO MENTAL!

By the way, John, your subie sure sounds sweet. My brother lives in Beaverton, maybe next time I'm down to visit him, we could get in touch and talk 'Roo or something. Let me know, as I will probably be down in the next month or two.

Guest mudrat79

Hey Hodakarider......

We are doing a 4 day Camp/4x4/exploring trip August 18-22 this next month....It is a family thing, anyone or thing is welcome.....If you bring an aminal, be able to keep it under control......

Where are you at...? There are going to be a few guys coming to it from the Seattle area...?

Eric Zap, Mike W., and another I think....?

Let me know if you are interested......I have a post on it here on the Board......Look up Wallowa Lake camp trip.....

Later, John Down here in Eugene, Oregon......

Guest hodakarider

Well, I've been seeing your post, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it. I would love to go, but I'll have to see what happens in the mean time. I live straight north of Spokane about 2 1/2 hours. (in order to make it for that trip, I'd have to sell my Audi between now and then, which would be great if it happens).

Guest byb555

I have done the swap many times. I am flat out at the moment and don't have time to go into it fully, but I will spend some time on the weekend and set out exactly what needs to be done. It is quite easy, but there are a few tricks as to what to do. Stay tuned, I will let you know.

Guest McBrat

This was posted some time ago, and I saved it for my web site, but still haven't gotten around to adding.

-----------------------------

scubydoo

Local user

(3/27/00 10:38:08 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del Re: EA-81 5Spd

just 2 weeks ago i replaced the engine in a 86 gl-10 wagon 4x4

sombody (not me) had put a ea-81 in it

it still had the stock 5spd 4x4 dual range tranny in it

obviously whoever did the last engine swap screwed it up because the motor was blown to high heven

anyway,

while i had the engine out i started looking at the clutch\flywheel arrangement

it had:

ea-81 flywheel (8 1/2")

ea-81 pressure plate (8 1/2")

ea-82 clutch disk (8 1/2")

so boys and girls thats how the ea-81 engine to ea-82 tranny setup is done!!!!

enjoy

Guest hodakarider

Thank you for your help, guys! BYB555, we all look forward to seeing your info. on this topic (I knew you would be one of the experts to step forward) thanks for taking some time out of your no doubt hairy schedule for us!!! :P

Guest ShawnW

MIck hope ya dont mind i put that on the repair manual, and hope to put whatever followups to this project come up on there too.

SHAWNW

Guest subeman90

you could take the rear driveshaft to a machine shop and hve it cut down right? Wouldn't that get rid of that problem????

Matt

Guest mudrat79

Thak you McBRat for the info ....Now I am wondering if I should bother with converting to the turbo Bellhousing or not.....

As to the driveline problem, Here is what I am thinking.

The 5 speed is shorter in length. But My Hatches' driveline is almost 6 inches shorter than the standard cars driveline. What I am hoping is that with the tranny being shorter, I can put a standard driveline in place and make up the difference. Has anyone done or heard of this being done...?

Byb555 where are you....??????

I need info before I get rid of the donator car.....

Later, John in Oregon.....

Guest byb555

You will need (as stated earlier)

Ea81 fly wheel (9")

Ea82 clutch plate (9")

Ea82 pressure plate (9")

EA82 throw out bearing

Ea81 starter motor

New tail shaft as per the picture

web.one.net.au/~bybsubi/tailshaft.jpg

I think you should be able to determine what I measured on my vehicle for the tail shaft length. The tail shaft on my car is actually borrowed from a mates Turbo Brat with the 5 spd dual range fitted.

The gear box will bolt straight to the motor, but you will need to muck around with the wiring to get your reverse lights and 4wd lights working. The speedo cable will bolt in. With your vehicles being left hand drive you should be able to get away with the same clutch cable. The EA81 clutch fork is on your passengers side and the EA82 is on the drivers side. (In Oz, we have to change the clutch cable and the pedal box) You may have to do this if thclutch cable does for some unseen reason not fit, so it would pay to pull the pedal box and cable out of the donor car just in case. The pedal box has 4 10mm nuts in behind the pedals and 2 10mm bolts going in an upward direction at the front of the box.

You will need to keep the gear shifter with the 5spd. A small hole has to be drilled for the rear of the shifter to be mounted to the body. This is a simple task when done with the box fitted up and the shift stick poking up through the hole in the floor. It is a matter of pushing the back of the shift up to where it goes, marking the hole and drilling. Probably a good job for your wife as by now you will be looking for a beer and can't be bothered getting back under the car. BTW, get her to do this BEFORE she fits the tail shaft.

I can't seem to think of any thing else at the moment. If I do remember any thing else I will post it.

Guest mudrat79

Hey there Brett.....Thanks for the info......Have you done this swap in a shorter wheel base car...?

My Hatchback has a shorter driveline in it due to the shorter wheelbase....I guess I am going to need to measure the length of the tranny and driveline as a unit, and then measure the 5 speed with a standard driveline attached, and se if my logic is working or not.......

Thanks for the info, and if you do find out it has been done this way, let me know...?

Thanks again, John in Oregon......