Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Storing an engine/trans.

Guest ShawnW

Guest ShawnW

Hey does it hurt the engine to be stored with oil in it? Same goes for the trans. I dont know how long or if I will ever need these again but want to keep em alive.

Any other storage tips? Pull plugs? Cover carb? anything~I havent done this b4.

THanks ALL!

Guest Fescenine

yeah keep the oil on them

makes good oxygen barrier stop the oxidization of the metals

get as much coolant out of the engine as you can, then plug up the pump housing inlet/outlet with rags, same with the air intake & exhast - stops bugs making nests in them.

try and connect the gearbox/engine together, makes it a lot easier to manouver around with 2/3 people (believe me)

i spose you should have flushed the engine oil out with a kerosene based cleaner before you stored it (then replace with a clean oil)... dont know if you knew that before you take it out and store it... i was just told that it stops the gunk solidifying down onto the sump...

put a sachet of water absorbing chrystals in the distributer if you plan to store it in a cool/dampish area

i cant think of much else to do... thats what ive done with mine neway

which now ive stuck on EBAY if anyone is desperate for bits for a EA-81 engine

cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eB...=277289184

Guest St Nickolas

I'd include mothballs to try and make sure critters really want to steer clear of them. Make sure any for the intake are contained so they can't get lost in there.

A couple of teaspoons of oil in each combustion chamber.

Drain the gas, too!

Guest byb555

Ditto on the gas. If you leave it in the bowl it will eventually evaporate and and leave a white chalky substance behind. It would run like a hairy dog, if it actually started with this powder in the carb. Also wind some small screws into the end of all the hoses that hang off it, keeps the wasps and ants out. If you think of it in a few months time, it pays to put a 22mm tool on the front of the engine and turn the motor over a dozen times. This way the the valve springs will not fatigue and you will keep the oil around the important bits.

Definitely rotate engine once a month at least. Make sure to block of all points of entery with rags and DUCT tape. This will ensure that you don't have bugs. You may want to try to get an engine bag from a local junk yard or auto parts store. This will help keep the dust and dirt from collecting on the engine/trans. Good luck.

Just to turn those posts around a bit, does anybody have tips on how to bring an engine back to life after it's been stored a long time?