Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My daughter tried to start her 97 Legacy the morning after a night of freezing rain and snow. Alas, her wipers were in the on position and something internal to the assembly has gotten busted.

First, the motor runs. You can hear it humming.

Second, the wiper arms are firmly seated on the pivots (they weren't but I repaired problem). If I move one wiper, the other also moves so I know the pivots are in working order.

Something between the motor and the pivots (some sort of linkage?) has come undone. Has anyone else confronted this problem? How does one get to the wiper assembly?

(I'm a good DIY mechanic, but not too familiar with Subarus....Subari?)

My guess would be that the linkage joint between the motor and the wiper linkage is broken. I believe the motor is on the passenger side firewall and you would be able to check there first of all. The black plastic tray at the bottom of the windshield can be pulled out with some grunt (usually) and that is how you can access the linkage assembly.

Good luck!

Kevin

the wiper motor has a ball joint attachment to the linkage, sometimes the joint pops apart. you should be able to unbolt the motor pull it out and see if the link rod assmy has broken or become slipped from its joint.

This was it, and with Kevin's help me locate and gain access to the motor, I had the problem fixed in no time.