Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT air suspension

Guest Oozman

Just bought my fourth subaru (GL, legacy, Domingo- no brat yet...) which happened to be an XT.

Now my problem is the front lifts high, and remains in that position until the air slowly seeps out in an hour or so (after I turn the engine off). I suspect its the solenoid controlling the air income into the suspention is stuck open (the car was under app. 4ft of snow when I bought it), I would be greatful for any advice!

Guest Huckster

I just bought an XT last month, And after I got the Air suspension Working, I found the rear would leak off overnight, if left on normal. But if I put it on High Mode when I park it, It doesn't leak off at all.

I think the sensor in the shocks are worn where they ride on normal most of thier life, which may send false readings to the computer, causing them to discharge.

To make a long story short, Park it in High Mode and see how it does.

Hope this helps

Huckster

90 Legacy AWD

86 XT-Turbo 4WD 5-Speed Air Susp.

Ozzman, the air sus has a diagnostic mode that can be accessed, the sevice manual has a comlete and through section on problems such as your expieriencing, do you have access to a service manual? It would be most helpfull in this endevor. The front struts are both indepently controled by sensors in the indivigual assms. I'd borrow a manual.

Guest DrClaw09

Ohh the pain of that damn air system. Before I replced mine on my 85 XT the whole car was stuck in high for a week. This was because the bleeder solenoid did not work. This is the main soleniod that ALL of the air leaving your system goes through. The XT controls ride height buy metering the amount of air that LEAVEs the shocks, not that goes in. If you car is too high, its because the air can't get out, not because too much is getting in. If you want to you can repair the system, but you are on a slippery slope to destruction, the system will enver be the same again. My advice, put in coil overs, MUCH cheaper.

Jason

I loved the air suspension on my XT. Someone ought to design a better control system as an aftermarket product for Subarus with pnumatic springs. It's really a nice feature and with a reliable control system, especially one that allowed height adjustment with a dial rather than a two-position switch it'd be wonderful. I never did have any trouble with my XT's suspension, but it would seem that I am the exception rather than the rule.

So, if I do go towards removing the air suspension, do I need to change anything apart from the shocks? What about lets say springs? Or any other modifications?

Guest DrClaw09

The Xt's, along with most subarus i believe, ahve a McPherson strut assembly, that is, the coil is around the shock, and the shock hold the coil from sprining all over. So if you take out the shock, you are taking out the springs. However, with the air suspension beleive it or not, you DON"T have springs. All you have to do is call up el local junk yard and say "I need the front and rear Strut units from a 4wd Loyal wagon".

Jason