Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback 2.5L 2457cc Transmission filter

Hello to all you fellow Subaru owners. My wife and I love our '02 Outback wagon. Its been a sweet little vehicle. At right around 30,000, its time to start thinking about some extra service other than 3,000 mile oil changes and tire rotations every 6,000 miles.

I have been talking to another fellow board member for advice on transmission oil changes and wanted to share some information I found out the other day with both him and the rest of you. I have always been a big WIX filter fan and run them on all my vehicles (cars, truck, tractors, etc). I balked at paying the local Subaru dealer $38 for the 38325AA032 transmission filter that I wanted to change out. I checked the WIX internet site and crossed the Subaru filter number to a 51365 WIX oil filter that I can get for $4 or so. I called the WIX filter dealer that I deal with www.filter1.com and had them call the WIX tech line for me to double check this out. They informed me that the cross was correct and the transmission filter Subaru uses is really just an ordinary oil filter with a different number. Now this is just what I found out the other day. I'm not completely sold yet since I know alot of techs out there really don't know heads from tails. It wouldn't surprise me though that a car manufacturer would make a different part number up for an oil filter, call it a transmission filter and gouge the heck out of the unsuspecting public. I would ask if anyone else has looked into this and what have you found?

I appreciate all advice, experiences and will share everything I learn with the members here on this board. Looks like I found a good one.

Another big crock that my dealer told me was about replacing the little crush washer on the oil pan bolt. In ten different oil changes I have never replaced the crush washer (I still have the original one on it) - properly tightened it never has leaked a single drop of oil. I know because you can eat off my garage floor and I check all my vehicles for leaking constantly. What really irritated me was that my dealer wanted something like $1.50 each for the little crush washer in the first place and $8 for a Subaru oil filter. I have been running O.E. Subaru oil filters on this Outback since new - but I got them cheaper through www.subaruparts.com . Don't get me wrong, I'm cheap and realize that everybody has to make a buck - but I'm not stupid either and its burns when someone tries to take advance of me.

I'm not ranting here but the other good one was when I asked them about changing the brake fluid due to moisture. They told me that all they do is suck out the reservoir with a turkey baster and refill it.

The filters on the transmissions aren't really the same as oil filters. They're more or less just screen type filters, so they more or less don't need to be replaced too often.

I know this to be the case with the older ones, and I'm pretty sure the newer ones are similar.

I recently did this service on our '99. I have changed the filter and fluid every 30-50k since new. When I was done I decided to cut open the AT filter to see how it was constructed and how dirty it was after ~30k miles. This filter is nothing like any oil filter I have ever cut open. It has a "paper" element just like a regular oil filter, but there is also an unusual cylidrical screen in the center of the filter. It was virtually spotless. I would NOT substitute another part for this filter. If you feel it is necessary to change it pay the $$$ for the OEM part. I would definately change the filter after the first 30k, as most of the break-in has already occurred and the filter will likely have some stuff in it. Keep in mind that my wife drives mostly highway miles and does no towing, so filters in cars with more severe service may accumulate contaminants much more quickly. I think I may stretch the interval out a bit based on seeing how clean the filter was, maybe every 2 years or 60k.

For changing brake fluid I like to use the turkey baster to get most of the fluid out of the master cylinder, refill, then bleed the brakes until all bleeders have clean fluid coming out of them.

I recently did this service on our '99. I have changed the filter and fluid every 30-50k since new. When I was done I decided to cut open the AT filter to see how it was constructed and how dirty it was after ~30k miles. This filter is nothing like any oil filter I have ever cut open. It has a "paper" element just like a regular oil filter, but there is also an unusual cylidrical screen in the center of the filter. It was virtually spotless. I would NOT substitute another part for this filter. If you feel it is necessary to change it pay the $$$ for the OEM part. I would definately change the filter after the first 30k, as most of the break-in has already occurred and the filter will likely have some stuff in it. Keep in mind that my wife drives mostly highway miles and does no towing, so filters in cars with more severe service may accumulate contaminants much more quickly. I think I may stretch the interval out a bit based on seeing how clean the filter was, maybe every 2 years or 60k.

For changing brake fluid I like to use the turkey baster to get most of the fluid out of the master cylinder, refill, then bleed the brakes until all bleeders have clean fluid coming out of them.

"I fully realize that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Ha, ha, ha. What did you mean?

Interesing info. Unfortunately I did not examine the screw-on AT filter (yes, it does exist, and no, it is not a screen filter) closely when I replaced one at 40000 when I swithed to synth ATF. Unfortunately, I had to destroy it while trying to unscrew. I did noticed some metal debris flowing from it but not sure if some of it was due to pounding a screwdriver into it. After that experience I appreciated the Subaru's recommendation of not changing it for life.

Unfortunately, I had to destroy it while trying to unscrew. I did noticed some metal debris flowing from it but not sure if some of it was due to pounding a screwdriver into it. After that experience I appreciated the Subaru's recommendation of not changing it for life.

You too? I had to drive a 16" rat-tail file through mine, and I still wasn't sure I'd get it off. Absolutely the tightest, most stuck-on filter I've ever encountered. I had AT-fluid running down my elbow into my armpit, on my shirt, in my hair.

Still glad I changed it though.

• 2 months later...
or you could take it to the local jiffy lube where the retard there puts the same filter on your trans as he did on your engine..

we fixed one of those in my shop last week.. arrg..

Clarification needed:

What did you mean by "fixed"?

Was the tranny damaged by this filter or merely filter needed to be replaced?

Thanks.