Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale 4wd Sensor Light

zeke

Need Help-- I have a 1992 subaru loyale two wheel drive wagon (with part-time 4-wheel drive option). The 4-wheel-drive sensor light (on the dash) is permanently turned on even when the car is not in 4-wheel drive. The four wheel drive can be engaged or disengaged without any problem but the light is always on. Does anyone know about the location of the 4wd sensor and how to disconnect the sensor and turn off the dummy light?? I cannot have the car's emissions tested with the light turned on, yet, i do not want to pay to have the 4wd sensor/sensory light fixed because it is not even necessary.. it is pretty obvious when the car is in 4wd without the help of the 4wd light. Thanks!!!

You didn't say whether this was a manual or automatic transmission, so I am going to assume manual.

I am also going to assume that this is a "pushbutton" 4WD, where you put it into 4WD by pushing a button on the gearshift (as opposed to needing to move a second lever).

My '85 Factory Service Manual (FSM) shows the 4WD sensor switch on the upper right backside of the tranny just above the driveshaft output (as viewed from back of tranny). It is on the back side of the case, facing backwards, not going in to the side of the case.

You didn't say whether this was a manual or automatic transmission, so I am going to assume manual.

I am also going to assume that this is a "pushbutton" 4WD, where you put it into 4WD by pushing a button on the gearshift (as opposed to needing to move a second lever).

My '85 Factory Service Manual (FSM) shows the 4WD sensor switch on the upper right backside of the tranny just above the driveshaft output (as viewed from back of tranny). It is on the back side of the case, facing backwards, not going in to the side of the case.

Thanks for the input and Yes it is a manual transmission and yes it has a push button 4WD. So, based on your description, do you think that this would be accessible without a lift? Also, any idea if what the sensor looks like and if disconnecting the sensor will cause any other problems?

Also, if anyone has had this problem before I would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks!