Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 AWD conversion for the 83 hatch?

Guest Chairotsu

Guest Chairotsu

I drove down to see Jason's (Cryslr) newly lifted wagon today. After shooting the bull for awhile, we decided to go test it out at the proveng grounds just down the road from Qman's house. I followed the two of them in my 93 Legacy, planning on just videotaping. When we got there, the 4wheelin' bug got ahold of me, and against the protests from Qman, and I followed them on into the place.

After the first couple of whooptydoos it smoothed out quite a bit so I gave it some gas and tore right up the hill. I did take the 'whimpy' route, but made it to the top of the 1/2 mile muddy hill climb first. (By "a mile")

The power in the Legacy is so smooth in that stuff, and the AWD system worked flawlessly. The tires are street type so they spun a lot on the way, But Damn!!

Now I want REAL BAD to put the drive train from a Legacy in my hatch, and I mean it! Anybody know how possible? What do I gotta do, and I wonder who in Washington to ask to help?

Eric Zap

Guest PaganQWA

Sounds like a blast :) Wheres a URL to the pics and video?! :D

Do you know alot abouat how AWD works ? Please give me all the details if you can :) Thanks!

Eric, you know we can do anything! We need to find a wreck and buy the whole thing. A tech I talked to once suggested the same thing. I was much more interested in putting the turbo in so I kinda blew him off. He claimed it would fit without much trouble at all.

I think a call to Tom may be in order. He can get the wrecks, maybe you can work something out. I have access to the welder and enough creativity to make up for the rest. Let's do this. I think you're right on this one. Great way to get more power. Let's brain storm this one and make it happen. Ken

I just thought of something else. I got a friend that does all the auctions in the area. he can get us what we need. All we have to do is set a price and he'll find us one. We just need to figure out year and modelfor him to look out for. Call me tomorrow afternoon, maybe after 4:00.

Guest Switzerland

I'm planning to do this conversion to my '84 DL Coupe. I haven't worked out all the details yet, but I'll be posting any info I come up with when I do. I know that MileHiSube(sp?) has put a 2.2 in a EA81 car, but without the AWD. Desertsoob wanted to do this too. From what I've found so far, it looks like a EJ22 will mount to the EA81 crossmember directly, so it's the tranny and rear driveshaft mounting that'll be a custom job. I'm sure between us, we can get it all figured out.

Just a question.

Is the 2.2 narrower than an EA 82? As they are both OHC engines.

The frame horns on an EA 81 taper front to rear causing interference with the cam covers? I measured my 87 EA 82 against my 86 EA 81 Brat.

I thought the Mile Hi convertion was done to an EA 82 equiped car.

Ken and Eric are "can do" guys- my bet is they'll make it happen.

Guest Switzerland

I'm almost positive that the EJ22 is actually narrower than the EA82 because of the different cam and rocker setup (and lack of distributor). I measured, and it looks like the #4 cylinder corner of the engine could end up within an inch of the driver's side frame rail, so I guess I better check the valve adjustment before I put it in, eh? ;)

You might want to see how much more a EJ-25 from a 2000+ Subaru is. Failing that a EJ-25 from 97-98. These are the same motors externaly, but have a fair bit more power, and are of a much newer design. Give 96 and 99 a miss unless given to you for free.

If looking at the 2.2L the SOHC from 00 on is also much better than the earlier ones. Avoid 99 at all costs.

The older 2.2L motors had much poorer heads, and made I think some 20HP less than the latest ones.

The 99 motors blow MAFs if you look at them funny. The 96 EJ-25 just sucks. The SOHC motors from the later years are the ones to have as they have a little more peak power but the power band is ALOT wider with more midrange torque.

If you want I know of a EJ-22T that is out of sedan. It is w/o turbo right now, but I know where the turbo lives. The car was there not long ago so I can hunt that down for the other junk needed. The tranny is AWOL, but there is a legacy Manual box there.

If you want to spend a little bit of money there is the EJ-20T that can be had with all the fixings for not that much.

www.adelaidejap.com.au/engine_packs.htm

They have a the EJ-20T that is comparible to our ej-22T for only $2500 Aus, which is about $1,400 with the auto tranny and all the sensors needed. I don;t know if they include the rear diff on the Subarus.

The Twin turbo might be real fun, but I have NO idea if it will fit.

The WRX STI Type RA might be the one to ask about though as they come with a VERY colse range box and a 4.444 final drive. YOu might also email them about a dual range legacy box.

I am a little flaky on the Legacy motors so I might be off a little or just not know. Please ask if you need any more info.

Guest swingsstuff

Funny thing I just finished a conversion for a customer of a 2200 legacy engine and 5SP AWD tranny into a 1985 Brat. It included a 3" lift. Just now working out the last of the bugs. Runs better then great and looks killer. Will try to get some photos. Mike

Guest Lewy80DL

Eric, I have done a lot of shoe horning engines and drive train into places where nobody thought they would go. One of my best was putting a V8 in the back of a Corvair and having people think it was a factory installation. I'm pretty good at fabrication parts if needed. And best of all, we live in the same area.

Guest PaganQWA

Lewy80DL: Any advice in stuffing a 472 Caddy + 350 turbomatic trans. into a full sized broncho? :)

Some problems:

How to keep it 4x4.

Gear ratio's in the diferentials prolly wont match the transmission.

Can you think of any other? Any suggestions? Thanks!

(we may need your excellent fabrication skills in the future :) )

Guest Chairotsu

That's pretty much what I wanna do, but in a hatch. Could you E-mail me with some details, cost, what labor had to be paid for, big obstacles, whatever else you can think of? It's great to know that someone has already done it! Any help is appreciated.

Lifted too?!! I've just about got a 4 inch lift kit finished.

Thanks, Eric Zap

Chairotsu@Earthlink.com

Guest Lewy80DL

Pagan, the only problems that I see are the motor mounts and the fact that Ford usually goes down the driver side to the front differential and Chevy goes down the passenger side. You should be able to get a NP 203 or 205 that will bolt up to the tranny, the problem there will be that it goes down the passenger side. If you use a Ford 3/4 ton rear end with 8 bolt wheel pattern, then you can use a Chevy 3/4 ton front axle with the 8 bolt wheel pattern (they use the same exact wheels), and will line up with the transfer case.

Pagan, don't know if you were serious or not, but that is a strange combination to put in a full size Bronco (assuming that you are talking about a full size and not a Bronco II, still can be done, but now I bring out the cutting torch), but if you already have all the components you mentioned, I can see why you would want to start with them. But if you are really serious about this, here is what I would do. First I would try to sell the engine and tranny (they are not a good combination anyway, the TH350 was primarily for small block chevys), next I would look around for a mid 70's to early 80's Ford LTD with a 429 in it (these car can usually be purchased for less the $750), then you would have a big block Ford with a C6 (big block tranny) behind it. The I would find a transfer case that bolts to the C6 (there should be plenty of them around). The motor mounts would still be a problem, but there are kits available to solve that. The rest is to simply bolt everything in. Once that is done, you need to measure for the front driveline, and exhaust system. Hopefully the driveline will be stock item, if not Driveline Northwest does a great job of fabricating new ones. The exhaust system can be easily fabricated also, if stock parts are not available (like out of the 3/4 or 1 ton 4X4 truck). Now you would have a killer Bronco with an all Ford setup. If you later wanted to put in a 460, it would bolt right into want you would have.